Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

McFlyFoam vs Egg Yarn

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Poll: Which do you prefer for making egg patterns

Which do you prefer for making egg patterns

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 2bonthewater

2bonthewater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:59 PM

I like the McFly foam.......but I still use glow-bug material--mostly because I have so much of it stashed in my desk.....

I have used the McFly foam to make heads on sculpin patterns........I tied one for river smallies and glued some honker eyes on each side of the head........looked pretty good..........

The pom-poms are not bad.........7mm works really good.........have even caught fish on the 5mm.........I have used the 10mm, but is just a little too big

I tie a good amount of eggs each year..........steelhead and salmon..........and even for trouties..........I use a mix of the above mentioned, estaz and glue...........the good thing with the mcfly foam over the glow-bug stuff was that I could tie very small eggs with little problems............and once you get the technique down.......you can really rip out the McFly Foam eggs.............you turn into an egg making machine........no piles of inch long pieces to deal with........stuff the tube.......and go from there...........

although..........I don't think a fish prefers one over the other.......at least in the great lakes area: Erie.....if it looks like an egg......it will get eaten
www.2bonthewater.com

#47 Andrewfly fishing

Andrewfly fishing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:38 AM

I like to use chenille.
Andy Pandy (save the pandas)

#48 flyfshn76

flyfshn76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:06 AM

Most of the time I use the yarn, only because I have alot of it. I have started to use the foam and quickly becoming a fan of it. I use it when making my blood dot patterns.
I fish.....therefore I am.....

#49 strmanglr

strmanglr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:49 PM

i cant say i have used mcfly foam.

i can say i have only tied a half dozen eggs with yarn, didn't have a problem.
all nice and round, i don't find it to be a difficult fly.
I have seen nothing more beautiful than the sun rising on a cold stream.

#50 troutsmasher

troutsmasher

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

Hey guys, thought I'd throw in my thoughts here...

Fly foam is an easy way to tie a round egg. Also makes a nice core for a nuke egg.

Pompoms I really didn't like but would work in a pinch and you can get a bunch of bright colors for $1

I prefer yarn because of it's translucent properties, and the fish agree.

#51 BoSmith

BoSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:42 PM

I like yarn only because it sinks better. I have found that the hot glue egg looks the nicest as it's perfectly round when done, but they don't sink very fast either.