Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

most liked trout species

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

Poll: most liked trout species

what is your favroite kind of trout to catch?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:41 AM

http://www.google.co...i...-8&oe=UTF-8

Must not be too bad. No want of Carp recipes.
“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
~Archimedes

Darwinism seems to have become a politically protected sacred cow, and I've never seen a sacred cow I haven't wanted to roast - the fact that you are not supposed to criticize it is just too irresistible to me.
-Angus Menuge

Visit my blog, North Fly, and leave a comment if the mood takes you

#32 troutguy

troutguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:48 PM

Brown trout, very large Brown Trout on flies in the dark of night.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for the day; Teach a man to tie flies and he'll pick up all the roadkill.

#33 BunnyBuster

BunnyBuster

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:35 PM

Sea run coastal cutthroat. thumbsup.gif

#34 fishinbub

fishinbub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (Taylor B. Hess @ Jul 14 2010, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
although, aren't brook trout actually a species of char?

If you want to get technical rainbows, cutts, brookies, lake trout, blueback trout, bull trout, etc. are not actually trout. Just brownies.

Brookies by far. Finding them is half the fun...
When people look at my desk they see,

Enough tools to put a dentist to shame,

More feathers than any craft store,

And more fur than a taxidermist.

I'm just your average teenager. (-;

#35 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:12 PM

If you want to get technical rainbows, cutts, brookies, lake trout, blueback trout, bull trout, etc. are not actually trout. Just brownies.

Actually Cutthroats, Rainbow Trout, and Brown trout are all true trout. Lake trout, Brook Trout, Sunapee Trout (also known as Blueback trout), and Bull Trout are indeed chars.

As to Brook trout not being a trout at all, I suggest reading this article, which besides being slightly profane is very enlightening.
http://flyaddicts.co.....ed: 40rivers
“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
~Archimedes

Darwinism seems to have become a politically protected sacred cow, and I've never seen a sacred cow I haven't wanted to roast - the fact that you are not supposed to criticize it is just too irresistible to me.
-Angus Menuge

#36 redietz

redietz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:39 PM

QUOTE (smallieFanatic @ Sep 20 2010, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually Cutthroats, Rainbow Trout, and Brown trout are all true trout. Lake trout, Brook Trout, Sunapee Trout (also known as Blueback trout), and Bull Trout are indeed chars.

That would depend on how you define true trout. Thirty years ago, it indisputably meant members of the genus Salmo, which at the time included rainbow & cutthroats. (Excluding the Atlantic salmon). Members of the genus Oncorhynchus were all referred to as Pacific salmon. By that, definition, Salmo Trutta, the brown trout is now the only true trout we have, at least in North America.

When rainbow, cutthroats, etc, were moved to Oncorhynchus, the meaning of "true trout" got a bit slippery. You can define it as "any salmonid who most common strains are land locked", but that would also include the chars.

There really is no "scientific" definition of "true trout." If we call it a trout, then it is, except maybe "sea trout" (as used in this country -- the relative of the weak fish as opposed to a sea-run brown.)

Back to the poll, though, I voted brown. It's the fish that fly fishing was centered around for two thousand years, a true trout by any definition, the most challenging to catch, and the hardiest. It only beats out brookie by nose, though.

If we were to vote on least favorite, it would have to be a hatchery rainbow for me.

#37 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:32 AM

That is very interesting. However, if it is true that there is no real scientific definition of true trouts, why is there so many books and internet articles that state otherwise?
Are they spewers of misinformation or is there more to it? smile.gif
~Archimedes

-Angus Menuge

#38 redietz

redietz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (smallieFanatic @ Sep 23 2010, 01:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are they spewers of misinformation or is there more to it? smile.gif

They're repeating what they remember to have been "true" when they were learning the sport. (Note I said sport; a biologist isn't going to say anything is a trout or not, just whether it belongs to some genus.)

This link to the Pennsylvania Fish&Boating Commission page is edifying:

PFBC Q&A

They use "true-trout" (with a hyphen in one place) to mean the genus salmo, and explain that, by that definition, the only true-trout are the brown trout and the Atlantic salmon. The then go on to explain that you call a fish by any common name you want, it has no real relationship to the biology.

#39 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:20 PM

Very interesting. Thank you.
~Archimedes

-Angus Menuge

#40 wetflyguy

wetflyguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:07 PM

Love Brookies.

wet

#41 Johny Utah

Johny Utah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:29 PM

I picked brown trout. My wife likes the trouser trout though.

#42 NJFlyMAn

NJFlyMAn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:34 PM

My favorite is the tiger trout... Just love the looks of them

#43 firedad

firedad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:36 AM

Browns on the Truckee River, Cutthroats at Pyramid Lake, and Rainbows at Eagle Lake.

#44 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,081 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:52 AM

rainbows rolled in cornmeal and garlic butter, hash browns with bacon and cheddar cheese and grilled asparagus! good eats!

Fly tyers are masters at making things complicated

#45 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:29 PM

Take a look at my picture--STEELHEAD! Can't believe no one has mentioned them till now. cool.gif

“The thing about fishing is that it gives a man hope.  Each cast builds a little hope and if he can lose himself to that hope, then the worries and the heartache fade into the background.  The wind inside him dies down for a while”

The Royal Wulff Murders, by Keith McCafferty

Fishing Bob