Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

most liked trout species

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

Poll: most liked trout species

what is your favroite kind of trout to catch?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#76 DrVette

DrVette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 12:36 PM

DrV- Brown trout were never "native" to North America. They were introduced in the later part of the 19th century from the UK and Germany.

I have heard that my entire life. It might be true. But i have seen books describing this brown going back to the mid 1800s. Who the heck would have been introducing fish back then?

No one has ever shown me any group or individual introducing any fish in the 1880s or so as is claimed. We were wiped out from the civil war. There was mass starvation and socioeconomic problems beyond description. Yet some-one brought trout here??? Travel was so scetchy many died trying. How could they have hauled those fish?

I think the world missed a native that is probably extinct now. Those browns were very different. I feel lucky that i got to see some. I think the last one i caught was around 1981-82??? I have never seen any-one catch one since. German browns are very different. The ones i speak of were more colored like a brookie. They were mean and i remember getting bit by them a few times. I wish i had a picture of one.

#77 FIN-ITE 34

FIN-ITE 34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 01:14 PM

https://nas.er.usgs....x?SpeciesID=931

#78 FIN-ITE 34

FIN-ITE 34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 01:18 PM

http://www.smithsoni...0317057/?no-ist

#79 DrVette

DrVette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 01:23 PM

I am going to go looking for that Bean 1903 description. That has me curious.

The problem is that the state started bringing German Browns in just after WW2.

They were mixed up. I swear that there use to be a different brown here. I just haven't seen one in over 30 years.

#80 FIN-ITE 34

FIN-ITE 34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 01:49 PM

http://cpw.statBrown Trout

Brown Trout © Joseph R. Tomelleri

The brown trout was first brought into this state in the 1890s and is now abundant from high mountain streams to broad rivers flowing onto the plains. These fish can be difficult to catch, but many anglers have good success during their fall spawning runs. A large dark spotting pattern and reddish dots can help anglers distinguish these fish from rainbows and cutthroats.e.co.us/learn/pages/fishid.aspx

#81 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 02:50 PM

They were mixed up. I swear that there use to be a different brown here. I just haven't seen one in over 30 years.

You probably caught Cutthroat, which range in size and can get powerful too. Check out this link:   http://wildtroutstreams.com/natives

#82 DrVette

DrVette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:06 PM

You probably caught Cutthroat, which range in size and can get powerful too. Check out this link:   http://wildtroutstreams.com/natives

No. i know a cut throat and/or cut bows very well. I have seen a cross of brookie and cut-throat a few times...Those are rare as golden trout i think. And they are weird looking with PURPLE dots that have a gold halo and tiger stripes along their back and bright red pec fins and gills. I use to fight thinking they were tiger trout but it turns out they are also something different.That might be something close to the cut bows also...That one i do not remember well enough to be sure of. Add in that i only caught a few in one stream, genetics could have led to a very secluded mutant??? IDK

I wish i could go back in time catch one of those browns and show it off...but that isn't happening.  These have been gone for decades.

There honestly use to be a different brown in Colorado. They died around 1982. I have never seen once since high-school. Not even a picture.

I will have to sit and think...Who do i know that might possibly have an old pic? IDK yet...

BTW all of these links show me there a about 6-8 types of trout i never knew about...You made my bucket-list longer. Also learned what call pike are muskie.

#83 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:23 PM

I think brien trout ate my favorite I like brookies too and cutthroat, they pretty much only stock rainbows here not really big on catching planter trout the wild ones are fun though.