Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Nymphs: To Bead or Not to Bead?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Poll: To Bead or Not to Bead?

Do you prefer nymphs with or without beads?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:03 PM

I do use beads but I stop using brass for my hatch match. I like the black ones and use nickle or copper for my attractors.

Kevin

Eastern Fly's data base entries

easternfly.blogspot.com

A Pitt fan, a Marshall fan, and a WVU fan are climbing a mountain and arguing about who loves their team most. The Marshall fan insists that he is most loyal and then yells,"This is for Marshall!" and jumps off the mountain. Not to be out done,The WVU fan next professes his love for his team. He screams,"This is for the Mountaineers!" and pushes the Pitt fan off the mountain.

Anyone can be a father. It takes a man to be a Dad! Kiss your kids today.

#17 poiboy

poiboy

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:26 PM

I use beadheads for the most part because the river I fish is always off color. It's rarely dirty, but 95% of the time it's off color. I feel as if it my flies need to stand out a little.
"I recognize the right and duty of this generation to develop and use our natural resources, but I do not recognize the right to waste them, or to rob by wasteful use, the generations that come after us." — Theodore Roosevelt

#18 Gaddy

Gaddy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:29 AM

For me I use both beaded and non beaded I find times I want a bead to get it down or the H20 is dirty and sometimes I don't need any weight and the H20 has good visibility so I use both equally. unsure.gif
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

#19 Laxi

Laxi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:53 AM

I mostly use beaded nymphs, but I also use them without beads when I'm fishing shallow waters or when I can see that the fish is eating something close to the surface!

#20 zug buggin

zug buggin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:15 AM

I'll bead everything I can, I'd bead a dry fly if I could get it to float
"Fly Fishing Is Not A Team Sport"----Tom McGuane

The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout – cold, hard, spotted and beautiful – becomes “number seven.”
Tom McGuane

#21 violinjock

violinjock

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:22 PM

I have all the nymphs that I run in lead position with beads and my trailer nymphs have either no beads or very light beads.

#22 Gig

Gig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:13 AM

I have adequate numbers in both beaded and standard nymphs smile.gif

#23 RagingBull

RagingBull

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:34 AM

Most of my nymphs have beads on them and i generally tie up different color and size beads on the same pattern for the different size hooks. for an example i will put a 1/8th black nickle bead on a size 14, 7/64th brass on a 16, and a 3/32nd nickle on a 18 of the same colored pattern. This way no matter what the depth or flow is i can fish any single pattern at any depth i want to. It is a little excessive but what else am i going to do until the water gets soft again besides tie flies.
" I salute the gallantry and uncompromising standards of wild trout, and their taste in landscapes " -John Madson

#24 Sendenca

Sendenca

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:49 AM

So weight is so better, the look is less important.
Tungsten is the law !!!
Sendenca

#25 snowranch

snowranch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:19 AM

Beads 1/3, non bead 2/3.
Presentation purposes mainly

#26 westend261b

westend261b

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:06 PM

I'm a big fan of copper beads for sure.

#27 flyfishingtaz

flyfishingtaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:50 AM

For Me, it all depends on how I want the fly to drop. If I want it to nose dive, I'll add a bead to the head. If I want a full sink, get the fly down now drop, I'll start the fly out by wrapping the body in wire, then tying the fly as it needs to be tied. It all depends on how I want it to sink for Me.
I love farm ponds!! You can catch gills all day, and not care about hooking into a bigger

MY BLOG

#28 DeweyGreen

DeweyGreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 09:23 AM

I don't use many beads,
I like to weight the body of the nymph.
By putting the weight up front or in back you can make the nymph drop how you want.
And more or less float faster or slower depending on currents.
Are we all just puppet masters floating our little fly puppets to an audience of fish ??
www.lrsa.org

#29 chase-the-Yough-fisher

chase-the-Yough-fisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:55 PM

For me its how fast im fishing the fly early in the year i use mostly beadless so it will drop slower alowing me to fish it slower (i dont like dragging my nymphs) . And i do the reverse later in the year.

#30 kody

kody

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:54 AM

To me proportion is 50:50 and what I use depends on conditions.

headbang.gif