Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Natural or Synthetic Dubbing

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: Natural or Synthetic Dubbing

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

What dubbing do you mainly use?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 josephcsylvia

josephcsylvia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 10:55 AM

I like the natural dubbing for most nymphs and such. Seems to look "buggier" and have more movement. I use synthetics more and more for dry flies though, simply because most don't soak up water like natural dubbings do.

This is exactly right I use synthetic but am not happy with the look. I just ordered several different natural dub to get that buggy look.

#17 FlySlinger

FlySlinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:03 PM

I have Been tyng for years now and I keep swinging back & forth About this I guess I like natural the best at least for right now....lol

"In our family, there is no clear line between religion and fly fishing" Norman Maclean

#18 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:49 AM

I use both natural and synthetic. The natural as stated earlier looks buggier but soaks up more water. I probably have more synthetic, that may be that's what was on the shelf at the time. Don't really know.

But it really doesn't matter to me as long as it catches fish and I am happy with the results at the end of it all.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#19 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:57 PM

Overall I use natural most. In places I like synthetic for or even a mix but like Mike I'm not much on mixing ( sometimes you have to for effect or for color though, well if you "really" want that). If I want strands sticking out or a halo effect I think synth works better for that. I'm tying a series of flies lately with either holographic materials over an under wrap of dubbing or goose biot over an under wrap of dubbing and I like the strands of dubbing to show or even trail off the back a bit. For that I'm using synthetic. But my main tying box is loaded with naturals and only a few synthetics, I avoided synthetic for years and have had that synthetic in my case for years. Now I want more.

Most of my favorite dry flies don't use much dubbing in them actually. I've gone to wraps of thread or floss, biots, stems etc. Nymphs yes and some dries yes, dubbed.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#20 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,820 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 12:42 PM

For me seals fur beats the synthetics for the halo and odd strand sticking out look.
Then for 95% of my other dubbing its wool, squirrel, hare, rabbit, mole or a variety of other mammals.

All I use synthetic for now is ice dub or laser dub in salmon lures, pike flies or saltwater
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#21 Losthwy

Losthwy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:14 AM

Both. Depends on what I'm tying.

#22 cphubert

cphubert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:29 PM

Both, I like the synthetic for easy color consistency, not absorbing water, and workability. Naturals, traditional materials hard to substitute at times, a presentation salmon fly without seal? My favorite Hendrickson is with beaver dyed by a friend long departed, or a hares ear without the mask? and so on. I like both and I've seen blends that are very nice. With all the new stuff on the market and I still have furs and drawers full of fly-rite, ligas, wool, a blender my wife wants out of the house and who knows what lurks in boxes in the closet.

I know, I've got to start looking at the posting dates before I reply to these,  :-)) 

#23 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:28 PM

I use both with each having a purpose.