Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dawgvet

Whiting capes: Bronze vs High and Dry vs Pro grade?

So I had a little mishap with a couple dry fly necks and I need to replace some. I have always bought Whiting Bronze but was interested in the difference in the High and Dry vs Pro Grade and comparing either with the Bronze capes? I mainly tie trout flies in 18-12 range. Mainly looking for brown and grizzly.

Thanks,

Jed

The only real difference between the pro and the bronze grades is the numbers of flies you can tie per feather/cape. That's per a quote I heard from Whiting Farms. The High and Dry is a different line of birds than the red label but I've found it very comparable to the red label bronze grade. You won't be sorry with any Whiting cape you buy.

I buy pro grade and grade the capes and saddles myself. I never buy hackle I don't examine. The advantage of the lower grades is that you can buy different colors and size hackle because each cape or saddle costs less. Also capes and saddles are constantly getting better. So the money you save will probably buy better hackle when it comes time to do so. There are more hackle producers now than in the past and that is the result of more growers competing and most of the competition is at the lower end. That is the sweet spot for me.

I'll bet the poorest dry fly hackle on the market is better than the top grades were 40 years ago.