Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Frenchie - On normal hook

The Frenchie is commonly tied on a jig hook, and usually fished by euro nymphing style. However the same fly can be tied on a traditional nymph hook and is also quite effective fished under an indicator as well. In fact, I had some great luck with this fly on my last trip to the Animas.

I tie these small for my local rivers, but you can tie them much larger if you want.

The materials I used...
Hook: TMC 3761 on size 16
Thread: Veevus 10/0 in Red
Bead: 2.8mm Gold Tungsten Bead
Weight: .010 lead wire
Tail/body: Pheasant Tail Fibers
Ribbing: UTC Small Gold Wire
Collar: UV Shrimp Pink Ice Dub
Glue: Hard as Hull Head Cement

lance egan's frenchie has been tied on a straight shank hook as far back as 2012 and maybe longer.

see in the riffle video

tying on a jig hook would be the newest evolution

from dynamic nymphing by george daniels (2012)

https://books.google.com/books?id=eVsNIxjRQS0C&pg=PA161&lpg=PA161&dq=lance+egan+frenchie&source=bl&ots=ewdD6NGC1k&sig=0gIc6C6kfTnRLsC2fScHzfUYie4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjZnvfN77faAhXJZd8KHc8lBbI4HhDoAQgoMAA#v=onepage&q=lance%20egan%20frenchie&f=false

however as with most original fly patterns, tyers change this or that and they become new patterns with no regard to the originator

lance egan's frenchie has been tied on a straight shank hook as far back as 2012 and maybe longer.

see in the riffle video

tying on a jig hook would be the newest evolution

from dynamic nymphing by george daniels (2012)

https://books.google.com/books?id=eVsNIxjRQS0C&pg=PA161&lpg=PA161&dq=lance+egan+frenchie&source=bl&ots=ewdD6NGC1k&sig=0gIc6C6kfTnRLsC2fScHzfUYie4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjZnvfN77faAhXJZd8KHc8lBbI4HhDoAQgoMAA#v=onepage&q=lance%20egan%20frenchie&f=false

however as with most original fly patterns, tyers change this or that and they become new patterns with no regard to the originator

I never said this was a new pattern... lol. I called it a frenchi... haha.