Fly Tying
Burly Jed

The bird fly

Hello all. New to the forum and was hoping for a little feedback.

I have been working for the past couple of months on creating a foam bird fly. I have a handful of molds cast and am getting close. There really aren't many offerings for bird flies, but they are super effective near me (MA). Pat Cohen makes one, but we all know that Pat Cohen uses some sort of wizard sorcery to tie his deer hair and they are $20 each. I'm looking to offer something less expensive. So the question....Do you think I should focus on building a foam body that people can tie themselves or should I work on perfecting a finished fly? Thank you so much in advance!!

post-63108-0-80827800-1524754255_thumb.jpg

If you create something light enough to cast on a fly rod, Yea to you !!!

I've watch the videos of people catching huge Trevalli on flip flop bird imitations, etc. Of course, they don't actually cast it, so it just happens to be attached to a fly rod ... not really "fly fished".

Still, I am sure there are big fish hunters who tie flies and would like the foam body/components rather than the completed fly.

There are an equal or greater number of anglers, fly and conventional who might appreciate the completed fly/lure.

Welcome to the site, and good luck with the pattern!

Here,s a 100years old imitation of a bird/moth called the Henshall Bug tyed with deer hair that still works..nothing fancy, two wings and a tail..you can ty them as big as bird if you want but you still have to cast it..lol..when night fishing, i call it the Fat Bat..

post-55674-0-88440000-1524763837_thumb.jpg

Thank you Mike. The largest bird I've tied comes in at about 2g (pictured). I agree that is too heavy and I've already taken some steps to lighten it. Yes I've seen those folks that just chuck half a chicken out there. I'm not interested in that. This needs to be a "fly" that can be accurately fly casted under trees and to the edge of brush. I'll see what the next one weighs, but for now it is sitting in a tub of curing silicone rubber. Thx for the feedback.

post-63108-0-12068200-1524768625_thumb.jpg

What about imitating a baby bird that has fallen from the nest, might make a good springtime tree covered water pattern, and that would help solve your size & weight issue

My uneducated suggestion would be to perfect the finished fly before trying to produce parts. Sure those foam parts might be assembled in a million different ways, but I would think a guideline would be needed for buyers to see.

Weight can be detrimental to casting on a fly rod, but wind resistance can be even more so. There has to be a balance between the two. I made some great looking, light, foam frogs a while back, but casting them was almost impossible. Best of luck to you.

Hi BJ, that,s a neat idea..you say the bird pictured weighs about 2g..what does the 'g' stand for..thanks..

I read that as grams.

I know The Cream has tied a sweet deer hair bird before.

Tied a few, haven't managed to fish them much yet. My primary goal for 2018, actually, is to catch a bass on a bird fly.

Tied a few, haven't managed to fish them much yet. My primary goal for 2018, actually, is to catch a bass on a bird fly.

I'm sure its similar to fishing a mouse. I bet strikes are easier to come by than you'd think. I was watching videos on YouTube a bit ago of people fishing them, and one guy even caught a bluegill on one. I've caught several aggressive bluegill on mice before.

"Tap's Bug" is as good a bird as it is a mouse. And casts nicely.

Water birds don't have wings when in the water, flying birds aren't in the water,

In the size and bulk you want balsa might do better than foam. Thinking inertia.

I think when bass take bird or mouse or frog patterns that the bass mistakes the fly for a locust. Or maybe a slider?

I would like to know who tied that wonderful novelty in Flytire's second photo.