Fly Tying
kyflytyer

% of Time Spent Tying

% of Time Spent Tying  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I love fly fishing, but I have found that I enjoy tying even more. Of the time I spend on fishing related activities, I spend about 75% of it tying and the rest fishing. So, how much time do you spend tying?

I tie at least 3 hours a day (when Im not on the water) and spend at least 2 days a week on the water. Im not very proficient at math but I'd say its about equal.

I have found I tie ahole lot more then I fish. I send a few hours anight tying and checking out fly tying related sites. ( here lol and a few others )

So I said 90% of my time is fly tying. I just need to start keeping some of the flies I tie and stop giving them away to all the mooches at work that dont even fly fish lol.. Or to the few fly fishermen I do know lol... I will tie a dozen and give them all away lol I dont really care about the giving them away but it seems like I dont keep atleast one of them for myself lol.. I have started to here lately though .. I have started tring to get a few bass boxes together. I have always tied for them but gave them away lol so this should be fun.

Chance

Started out tying because I wanted a hobby that I could spend some time on when I had some time. Have recently decided that I should get my creations in the water so the balance between tying and fishing may change. Also like surfing tying related sites and getting new ideas for the tying table.

Like a lot of other folks, I suppose, I have to drive (5 hours +/-) to annoy any trout, and I still work for a living, so most of my time is spent around home. So my ratio of tying to fishing tends to be very lopsided with tying on the high side.

I tie everyday at least 6 of something(or more) to keep fingers nimble. My skills improve and friends fly boxes fatten ....... I wish the fishing time and the tying time was equal, but i have to give the nudge to tying being the more dominant activity......

My tying bench never gets cold, I try to make at least half a dozen flies each day. Unfortunately I live a couple hours driving from a decent trout fishery, so I get more often to tie than to fish; though when I fish I lose all track of time and spend my time in a perfect bliss :)

I would say that for me there is more oppertunity to spend time tying than there is fishing.

And this comming from a person with a 2 acre pond less than a hundred yards from his backdoor. Tying can be done anywhere , anytime. It does'nt have a season and is not effected by weather. It can be done morning or night. Last night I spent a couple of hours tying flies for todays outing , so today I will spend more time fishing than tying. Having a full time job, a family , friends ,yard work and countless other resposibilities are part of my life at this stage .And it is a blessing to find time to fish or tie .

Fred

Every year I say I'm going to fish more this season but with work, 2 teenage daughters, life etc. I'm not on the water as much as I would like to be. Also my season doesn't start until June 16 and closes October 31 so that's only like 4 1/2 months and last time i checked there is still 12 months in a year so you do the math! I tie way more then i fish. Besides it gets me through the long Alberta winters!

cheers chuckandducker

The amount of time I spend on both varies seasonally. Throught the spring, summer, and fall I spend at least 90% the amount of tying time on the water. through the ice season, I spend 95% of my time tying. So over the course of a year I would say that I am pretty balanced.

I prefer to fish the flies I tie, so I spend about 3-10 days at the beginning of each different season or before a big trip and tie non-stop til I have all the boxes I want filled. Then I fish them. At the beginning of the next season I throw out what I didn't use or didn't work and refill all the boxes. So I would say I spend 25% of my time tying. However, I used to spend 200 days on the water now I am down to maybe 100-150 so I guess that percentage might have increased a little.