Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FishSnatcher

Redfish Patterns

Hello all,

New to the forum and new to saltwater fly fishing and fly tying. I am looking for a solid list of patterns for just starting out fishing for redfish.

Any and all advice/guidance will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

spoon flies are probably the best bet, but crab and shrimp patters work really well. The borski shrimp and merkin crab are good ones for them, Where I fish there a lot of mullet and pinfish so baitfish patterns like clousers and polar fiber minnows work really well. I really love using poppers and gurglers, so don't overlook top waters.

We do a fair bit of redfishing (and I'm booked for that tomorrow out of Everglades City). Here's a few bugs that have worked well for me (and sold well in shops....).

The first one is the Whitewater Clouser -in size 2/0 it's a very universal pattern for the interior of the 'Glades in both brackish and salt waters - Note the wire weedguard... most days we fish reds along mangrove jungle shorelines where we're either sight fishing them in less than 2 feet of water or pounding the bushes and working our flies over roots, snags and downed trees.

The second one, the Blackliight Special is a cold water fly for very spooky fish in clear winter waters -once again this bug takes a variety of species. It's tied up on a #1 or #2 hook with a wire weedguard. The all black pattern with pearl crystal flash can be seen by both fish and angler at quite a distance... Redfish, in cold super clear Everglades waters are usually spookier than a big bonefish (if you can believe it...). A small fly on a light leader gets results most days when fish will run away from anything else we're tossing at them....

The third pattern is a Natural Slinky, the second photo shows two additional colors... The Slinkies are a bendback, heavily dressed, maribou pattern on a #1 or 1/0 hook. Every one has 1/2" length of .040 square lead wire along the bottom of the hook shank underneath a body of sparkle braid. We use these in the same kind of stained, slightly murky waters where spoons are effective.

Although we also catch them on poppers, gurglers, mullet flies and my own Silhouette... the first four I've listed are our go to bugs day in and day out for reds (lots of snook and trout take them on sight as well....).

post-30940-0-72697600-1421428857_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-59545700-1421429038_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-63755800-1421429188_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-24177600-1421429212_thumb.jpg