Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Betty

Bluefish flys

Most Northeast fly rodders can't wait until the striped bass show, I'm one of them. After a long winter they are the first to show up for the fight. As spring moves towards summer bluefish show up and many striper fishermen hate ole yellow eyes but for me they are the best! They fight to the end, will bite you in or out of the water, they jump in you stripping basket and shred flys in a heartbeat. So tying a bluefish fly it has to be durable, no natural materials like feathers or bucktail......plastic. I use wig hair; comes in tons of colors, for 1.99 you get enough to leave your heirs in your will and it's tough. Here's two

post-18342-0-82570700-1421727252_thumb.jpg

absolute beauties! I like using Flashblend for blues and macks down here, it holds up well. Of course we don't get the bruiser size blues you guys set up there, but they are still fun to catch.

This is my first post to this salt forum. It has been my experience with blues that pound for pound they are the most nasty, mean and ill tempered fish in the ocean. Jacques Coussteau called them the pirrana of the ocean. Any fly that will work for a striper will work for a blue. I cant think of any material used to tie that will outlast a blue frenzy. they are some that fair better. A "surf candy", will hold up for a couple of fish ,because of the uv goo used to form the body. If you use feathers make sure you have extra flies with you.