Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Goats

Casting platform for an Action Craft

My dad lives in Florida and has an Action Craft flats boat. He isn't a fly fisherman and the boat isn't outfitted with any fly fisherman specific improvements. I spend enough time fishing from the boat (when I leave the frozen north) to justify throwing some money at it to make it a better platform for me(selfish kid). I don't know the first thing about outfitting a flats boat and I was hoping someone could provide some insight into platform options.

Do all platforms require modifications to the deck, and where would I find a good product and installer in the Punta Gorda area. The boat has a trolling motor.

Lots of aluminum fabricators make casting platforms these days. The one you hear the most about is Bluepoint (I don't have their address but it shouldn't be hard to Google up). Before you do anything -I'd want to contact Action Craft directly to see what they recommend. Casting platforms are an add-on item with a turnbuckle underneath to secure what is basically a four legged stool for you to stand on while in the bow... I won't have one on my skiff since I'm worried that one of my older anglers might take a tumble... As you can guess, I'm not sold that they're that "necessary" since most flats boats come designed to be fly friendly (as opposed to years ago when you could count on cleats and all sorts of other things that would catch and hold your fly line..). Many like to have additional toe rails added in the bow area to keep your fly line in the boat when you're stripping it down onto the deck. They work okay in light winds -but when its windy (just the time that keeping fly line where its supposed to be....) toe rails don't help much at all...

Your best bet for a fly accessory on any skiff is probably some sort of stripping basket (these days it's actually a plastic can with a heavy base that will allow you to keep your line un-tangled and ready to shoot at a moment's notice). You can find them at most any fly shop down here. Learning to use one and be comfortable with it is another matter entirely. That's why on boards like Microskiff.com you can find both stripping baskets and casting platforms offered in used condition pretty often. Hope this helps. You can call me any time if you have addtional questions. As you can guess -I tend to do without most of the "extras" that many find essential, but I've been using a fly rod out of one skiff or other for a bunch of years now.

Really good advise Capt Bob. Been on boats that are not fly friendly and found my stripping basket saved the day many times.

It seems to me that it would be easy to make our own stripping basket, rather than having to buy one. Get an appropriately sized container, pour about an inch of Quick-crete into the bottom for weight, than if desired pour some urethane on top of the Quick-crete to get a smooth finish.

Why not?

I have already made and have used a stripping basket. I bought a Friskars leaf basket and cut a piece of plywood to match the bottom for weight. Worked well enough.

Thanks for the advice Captain.

I use a folding (or collapsing) lawn and leaf basket with an old metal flywheel in the bottom for weight when a basket is needed. Here's a link to a well built plastic tube that others have used for the basis of their basket...

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=22755&clickid=redirect

These tubs are the basis for a great "tank style" basket. You can cut out one side of the top of the tank for a graduated entry point for your fly line as well as other custom touches. Most that use this style find that you can strip out your line and also put the reel end of your rod down into the tube so that everything is self-contained and ready at a moment's notice on a windy day when you're staked out for big tarpon. I've known some anglers that put a small block of ice in the bottom for stability and others that simply add an inch or two of water in the bottom of the tank. Hope this gives you some ideas...

Seems like at $31 for a five gallon tube, one may as well go ahead and purchase the stripping basket.

couldn't find the info I wanted on my last post so here it is. The plastic tube I had the link for is the basis for the kind of custom stripping basket shown here..... Yes the components can get a bit pricey - but compared to what's commercially available they're actually a savings...

http://www.customgheenoe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24574&p=191759#p191759

As noted in WoodRiver's post one of the new super strong coolers (Engel is mine, but also Yeti, Pelican, and others) just moved up to the bow platform makes a fine casting platform. According to something I saw Tom Rowland say.... the Yeti actually came about after guides in the Keys who used coolers for platforms got tired of how fragile they were and someone ran with the idea...