Fly Tying
Danimal

Southern Pink Moth Pattern

Hey Everyone,

I have a buddy in Boone, NC, who has fished a very small pink moth pattern with good results on New River. Unfortunately, he can't get them any longer at his fly shop. We believe it imitates the Southern Pink Moth which apparently has a wing span of 1/2 to 5/8 inch in life.

Does anyone know this fly? If so, please share or point me to a pattern.

Many thanks,

Dan

Couldn't find anything but gave it a shot....

IMG_3015.png

Might need to reverse colors.... yellow body pink wings? May not even be in the ballpark. Couple with foam, deer hair, legs....real easy ties...

IMG_3012.jpg

IMG_3013.jpg

Might wanta get radical with the wings for more of moth profile?

IMG_3010.png

More hair.... the deer hair wings, head/ yarn,chennile body might even make the tie simpler. It is a floater huh?

IMG_3016.jpg

Could add antenna...

Not many moth patterns that I know of, I normally would chose an Elk Hair Caddis as a moth substitute if fishing. Pink puts it in a more rare catagory.

Some patterns that I think could be adapted to pink materials or pinked with an art marker:

Becks Mangler Moth post #9 http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=83539

White Moth

http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern13462.html

White Miller

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=6028

White Wulff https://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern2634.html

Definitely don't have anything around here that looks like that. I've seen one similar to the picture in the middle of the top row up in Vermont but it was a lot bigger, two or three inches long. I think it's called a Luna moth. All those patterns look real good, Denduke. I like the last pattern the best. Might be worth tying some up to use for pan fish. I wonder if a large CDC and Elk might work. I have both pink and yellow CDC I could use for the body. I'd have to get the markers out for the wing though. Not sure you would need antennae though.

The Luna Moth is light/florescent green. What you're referring to, Philly, is probably a Cecropia Moth.

As stated by the guys above, any moth/miller/caddis pattern in yellow and pink would probably work. I'm thinking a bumble bee pattern in those colors might do the trick, too.

https://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species/Pyrausta-inornatalis

Need size 12 or 14 from description. Lotta possibilities for wings and bodies. Pink CDC flared tent wing tan body. Pink caddis style deer hair tan body would be good floater all pretty easy. Just flair wings out more. Can the yellow; pink /white. Could get jazzy with lil green eyes white legs. White miller with pink wings prolly the simplest. Novelty and fun to experiment ...

;

IMG_3018.png

Caterpillar is interesting too. Lotta times in nature brite stuff is poisonous but not to fish.

.IMG_3019.png

Danimal, do you know the name of the fly your friend bought? The shop where he bought it?

Thanks for all the helpful comments and tips, folks! That pic in the thread above is the little rascal: triangular wing shape and rose pink in color, although some of the moths fade to a light pink. Never thought about a foam body and pinkish deer hair; good idea to try.

Don't know the fly shop in Boone (unfamiliar territory to me). Or the name of the fly at the time. My friend fished this fly a lot with good results on browns, generally after it gets water-logged and starts to sink. He bought the fly on a whim, fished it a lot, then lost it. Upon return to the shop they said all gone and didn't know where it came from; maybe a local tie. His pattern was tied with light pink hen saddle feather with the wings spread in the "spent" position. #16 hook.

Thanks again!

Caught several last year at the house. Very pretty bug. Would never have thought to fish with them.

seriously doubt that species is a regular food item for fish... a pink attractor pattern? sure, pink can be a great color for many fish.

The rosy maple moth (Dryocampa rubicunda) is a fairly common and small eastern silk moth (Saturnid) with the bright pink and yellow coloration-- again never present in any great numbers. "Small" for a saturnid, but still a chunky moth with a wingspan around 1-1/2 to 2 inches or so. Sorry Mike, but cecropia are huge members of the Saturnids... some I've collected in your home state have wingspans over 6 inches. Also in the south where they are double brooded, luna can have purple/pink wing veination, but overall pale to bright green and pretty large, wingspan to 4 inches or so.

My OPINION is your friend's pink fly was an attractor rather than an imitator.

[

The rosy maple moth (Dryocampa rubicunda) is a fairly common and small eastern silk moth (Saturnid) with the bright pink and yellow coloration-- again never present in any great numbers. "Small" for a saturnid, but still a chunky moth with a wingspan around 1-1/2 to 2 inches or so. Sorry Mike, but cecropia are huge members of the Saturnids... some I've collected in your home state have wingspans over 6 inches. Also in the south where they are double brooded, luna can have purple/pink wing veination, but overall pale to bright green and pretty large, wingspan to 4 inches or so.

Dang Chief you got all that entomology from the Navy? Sound authoritative for sure! No telling who hangs in this place! Hobby or vocation?

[

Dang Chief you got all that entomology from the Navy? Sound authoritative for sure! No telling who hangs in this place! Hobby or vocation?

no, Coast Guard. I've had more than a little interest in entomology forever. Certainly no "Authoritative" statements from me, just passing on things I've observed. Not too many things I can carry on an intelligent conversation about, but I can hang on to the edge when it comes to moths and butterflies ha ha!