Fly Tying
feathers5

Synthetic Baitfish Material

I know everybody has their favorites, but what do you think is the best synthetic bait fish material? I'll need it to tie bass and pike flies. Thanks for your opinion.

I use macramé yarn. Bonnie Braid can be found at Joann Fabrics. I picked up 5 100 yard skeins for less than 10.00. Last me for ever. I use a dubbing needle to start to unravel it, and pull out the 8 strands. Then I use a dubbing brush to shred it up. Works just like EP fibers, but there is no flash. I can always add flash. I can also make dubbing brushes out of the same materials.

A simple use of the search option on the site will turn up enough reading on the pros and cons of everything to make your head spin.

I like the Congo hair from fly tyers dungeon because it's cheap they also have some nice flash and dubbing. I also line three Steve Farrar sf blends.

I buy all of my synthetic hair from Fly Tyer's Dungeon -- they have a huge range of colors, blends and textures, it's good quality stuff and you get a ton of it for less than half (sometimes significantly less) of what you'd pay for the fly shop/"name brand" versions of the same stuff. I also buy their versons of Krystal Flash and Flashabou over the name brands for the same reason.

www.flytyersdungeon.com

I'm excited...just placed first order with ftd. Hope it lives up to the hype!

I'm excited...just placed first order with ftd. Hope it lives up to the hype!

It will, it is some good stuff and for the price you can't beat it

I know everybody has their favorites, but what do you think is the best synthetic bait fish material? I'll need it to tie bass and pike flies. Thanks for your opinion.

I'm going to go with the FTD Baitfish 2. for fresh water.

Craft fur and polar fiber for smaller flies. SF Flash blend and super hair for larger ones. Super hair especially when toothy critters are around, stuff is real tough

I use macramé yarn. Bonnie Braid can be found at Joann Fabrics. I picked up 5 100 yard skeins for less than 10.00. Last me for ever. I use a dubbing needle to start to unravel it, and pull out the 8 strands. Then I use a dubbing brush to shred it up. Works just like EP fibers, but there is no flash. I can always add flash. I can also make dubbing brushes out of the same materials.

I'm going to have to try this. Thanks for the tip!

I'm going to have to try this. Thanks for the tip!

I use it too. I read about it on here. I found some cheap and works fine for any baitfish pattern. I tie it in clumps and trim to length for buggy looking legs too.

post-59266-0-84304000-1501544565_thumb.jpg

Funny you should ask. I figured since I had it out, I'd throw one together.

post-59266-0-31776900-1501553892_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-88040400-1501553912_thumb.jpg

That makes a solid snook fly. Imitates a mayan cichlid, any brackish/freshwater snook will eat that.

Also, this is the reason why I don't buy ep fibers. He completely overcharges us when you can get the same thing in congo hair and this macrame yarn. I do like some of his brushes though