Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
AlexC

BH Awesome

Excellent nymph pattern, Alex! I'm not familar with the "Angelina Fibers" that you used for the body and tail. What is it and where did you get it?

Angelina fibers are a new material a friend sent me to try out. They're a synthetic that is soft enough to dub like fur, and long enough to use as fine hair, it can also be ironed to make bug wings (heat fuses the filaments together) or chopped up and mixed with dubbing to add an opalescent sparkle. It is available as a fiber from the garment industry, apparently it’s also available as a cloth and as a thread.

He sent me a near lifetime supply of a handful of colors, (you should see the hot pink), earlier this year and seeing this stuff had me junking over 300 steelhead flies I had so I could retie them with the new material. Think ice dub on steroids.

He has a website where he's wrote about some of his experiments with it so far, www.singlebarbed.com

Also, here's a few links to where he's wrote about working with angelina-

http://singlebarbed.com/2007/09/19/were-re...rking-overtime/

http://singlebarbed.com/2007/09/24/restock...ional-patterns/

http://singlebarbed.com/2007/09/26/heat-fu...rn-for-science/

http://singlebarbed.com/2008/01/21/if-your...he-right-place/

http://singlebarbed.com/2008/02/04/if-you-...ure-successful/

He's an FTF member, I'll shoot him an email and see if he's got anything to add here.

I hope your happy, Alex...

Now I "need" yet another fly tying material, and this time it comes in 41 great colors...

Sure it neat looking stuff.

Alex dropped me a note, so I'll see if I can save you some confusion...

Angelina fibers are available in different lengths (2" to 8"), different thicknesses (denier), soft crimp, regular crimp, straight, hot melt, or non melt. It appears some colors are only available in certain deniers which complicates things a bit. The makers of Angelina also make Crystalina which is a really coarse version of angelina - the fibers are much heavier denier and are suitable for large flies.

7.5 denier is super fine, and is as easy as fur to dub. 15 denier is the most common size and can be dubbed or tied in like bucktail (especially the straight, which acts almost like hair). "Soft Crimp" is Ice Dub - and is not to be confused with regular "crimped" angelina ... Soft Crimp resembles fur and is 2" fibers (Ice dub is 1") and Regular Crimp is much heavier fiber and is 4" long hair.

Yes, it's confusing - the simplest way to see all of this is to order some of each. I prefer the 15 denier straight hot melt fibers, and the soft crimp (which is really hard to get at the moment.) The straight fibers can be dubbed by themselves for a coarse iridescent effect, can be chopped into < 1" pieces and mixed with regular dubbing for a "seal fur" effect, or can be tied in as streamer wings and trimmed to whatever length you need.

Hot melt fibers can be placed on a sheet of paper (best to do so in a cross-hatch pattern) and put another piece over the top. Pass a warm iron over it 5-6 times and it melts the fibers into a shiny fabric - looks very much like mayfly wings. Don't place the material all in one direction as the fabric tears easier - lay some perpindicular and some at an angle so the resultant fabric resists tearing from any angle.

When buying Angelina (many of the vendors links are available in the articles Alex mentioned) always pay attention to the DENIER you're buying, stay with 15 for most applications; get one bag of a different size to assess the difference before buying 20 colors ... it'll save you some grief.

(The above fly by Daytripper is the 15 denier Copper color, it's a great color to fiddle with...)

Angelina is also available in sheets like paper and if you crumple it - it looks just like the wing veins on a mayfly wing.

I have two streamers I stuck in my sun visor 6 months ago to test for color fade - as I live in 100 degree summertime area - no evidence of fade or curling due to the heat.

The interesting thing is the same folks actually make metal Angelina - but it's not iridescent. It's copper or aluminum fiber that's so fine you can dub the metal onto thread. I bought one pack of each to see it - and it's really strange stuff ... I figure it may turn green (copper) if left on a fly for a season or two. Hold off on this stuff as it's uses are limited - but you can make a helluva "secret" fly with it - as nobody else has dubbed metal bodies...

There's a lot of conflicting information in some of the articles I wrote - as the earliest lacked me seeing all the different options (crimp, melt, etc) the company offered. You can send me an email if you've additional questions.

Good Luck