Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Inconnu

Dubbing dispenser

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, I did a search but there is an amazing number of posts concerning dubbing, so I'll mention it at the risk of being redundant. I got this idea from Pacres at one of the tying sessions I was at with him, here in Edmonton, it was so simple it caused me once again to question my mental agility for not thinking of it myself.

To make a great dubbing dispenser you need one or more of those flat opaque, many compartmented boxes. Put all of the dividers in place, then use a high speed drill to drill a hole for each compartment in the bottom of the box. I think I drilled a 1/4 or 3/16 in hole, but if you drill a small pilot hole first you will help prevent cracks when drilling the larger hole.

Clean the residue from the edges of each hole (I use a razor knife) and then place the dubbing in each compartment and pull a bit through the hole to get it started. On the lid you can label each dubbing with those little stick-on labels. Colour, brand and # for re-ordering purposes. So for $3 you get a great dubbing dispenser and it makes it alot easier to organize your material. :)

That works excellant. I have used film canisters the same way. Not as effecient as the plastic boxes but functional. Makes me wonder how the fly tyer of yester year ever got by without those plastic boxes.

Or, pack it into a drinking straw, with a little coming out of the end. When you need some, just pull a little out, and right onto the thread it goes. This works with antron better than the natural hares ear or squirrel dubbing.

That's a good price, but contrary to your comment, I did it because I have never seen a 36 compartment box pre-drilled for under $13 from a flyshop. I also have a few in the basement that I wasn't using so I didn't have to spend the extra $$$ on something I could make, thus freeing up the money to buy other items to sate my addiction. :)

Sign in to follow this