Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Prybis

Fly Tying Events

I will be attending the IFTS in November and want to take the camera and a few lenses. Just not sure what lense or flash to use or not use. I have a 100mm macro prime, 50 prime, 18-55mm and a 75-300 mm lense. I was thinking to use the 100mm macro for taking pics of flies. Heard it is good for portrait pics but I have yet to use this lense. I am still a noob when it comes to photography so any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Mike P.

It's unlikely you'll be able to set up flies fro portrait style pictures. Some of the tiers might let you, might even give you a fly to photo at your leisure. The majority of times, you'll be taking a photo of the fly in the vise AND the tier behind it. At best, maybe you can carry a piece of black or dark cloth, and you can get the tier to hold it behind the finished fly before he/she takes it out of the vise.

The 50mm or maybe the 18/55 will probably be your main lenses. If you take good, high resolution pictures without crowding the tier, you should be able to crop them down and just isolate the fly.

Good luck.

the majority of tyers will have their flies on display on one kind of fly stand or another on show in front of them

what lenses you bring is up to you. i just use my phone or a small compact camera

cce047640d7bfcd7b51422c36c2d410e--fly-ty

slot-english-oak-fly-tying-stand-250x250

sharon-at-somerset.jpg

img_7782.jpg

RHuo9DT.jpg

be curtious and ask the tyers if you can photograph their flies

each tyers station is going to look similar to this

chris%20reeves.JPG

305117_10150362647597714_600482713_79717

We had our first Tying Session with our local PHW today so I took the camera along to see what would work the best. The 18-55 work great for taking general pics of people tying. The 100 will work great for close ups of flies. I also found out I needed to use the flash inside. I used the on camera flash instead of a shoe mount flash. I need to get a diffuser for my shoe mount flash. I will be taking these 2 lenses with me and one shoe mount flash. I am hoping to get a few decent shots at the symposium.

I found that most flash units are so bright, they'll easily shine through a piece of paper. Taping a piece of printer paper over the flash is almost perfect for indoor photography. Sometimes, I've had to use two pieces to dim the light appropriately.

Guest rich mc

pat cohen is coming to the early show nov 12 in oakbrook il sponsored by illinois smallmouth alliance and drift

each tyers station is going to look similar to this

chris%20reeves.JPG

Nooooo! Please tell me we don't all look like Chris Reeves. Please no!

C.