Fly Tying
ralphs007

Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying ?

I just bought this book and I have a question for those who learned from this book. Charlie says, that if your right handed, it's better to learn to tie left handed. His reason is that you use your dominant hand to do the harder stuff,and your non-dominant hand to wrap the thread.

This makes sense to me,but he has the pictures in the book,set up for a right handed person. I would think this would be confusing for a person to learn from if you were trying to tie left handed.

I realize left handed people had to do this for years,due to most instructions are written for right handed people. So my question is,have you learned to tie left handed,and was it hard switching the pictures in your mind,when looking at right handed photos ? I'd like to take his suggestion,but I'm afraid it would be too confusing. I could give it a shot,but I'd like to know how left handed tyers dealt with this disadvantage.

Thanks

Ralph

My opinion is... i COMPLETELY disagree with his views, it would mean having to learn how to get used to tying with a new hand and that only takes up time and materials. Also, i am convinced that being right-handed is actually an advantage for tyers since 99% of instructions are meant for righties. The vise is also better used by righties because of the way it is shaped. BUT, you will be tying your own flies(most of the time) and that means that you tie however you want to, hope you make the right choice

FlatsRoamer

I read that in his book and remember wondering what were the tough things my non-dominant hand would struggle with.

I have to disagree with Craven on this, too. All I do with my left hand is hold materials, while doing all the intricate wrapping with my right. Even if I am making a dubbing loop, I do all the stuffing of material in the loop with my right, while holding the thread with my left.

I have no reason to switch hands.

If I remember right Charlie Craven is left-handed and ties the way most right-handed people tie. I am left-handed, and I tie left handed, with my vise pointing to the left. Wrapping with my left hand, and holding material in place with my right hand. No only do I tie left-handed, but I wrap in a way that is counter to the way most left-handed people do. I once took a clinic from Jack Dennis, and he commented on the fact that he saw me tying left-handed, but that my flies looked as if a right-handed tier had tied them.

When I started tying, the books I had access to were very short on pictures, so it wasn't at all difficult to "switch" images over. After more than 50 years, I can tie with either hand, and wrap in either direction. I don't really agree with Mr. Craven's reasoning for tying the way he does, but if it works for him then that's the way he should tie. I will continue to tied the way I tie, and be happy that they catch fish.

I feel that thread control and placement is the more critical aspect in tying. Holding material in place with your non-dominant hand should not be a problem. The hook and vise are stationary, and act as a steady point to brace your hold. Wrapping is done with a free hand. The intricate motor skills are usually better with your dominant hand.

A righty learning to tie lefty absolutely falls into the "what the hell is he thinking" category. Thread control and tension are vastly more important then holding material against a hook and should be done in the dominant hand. I would have thrown the book away after reading that.

I recall Charlie stating that his reason for tying "left-handed" (he's right hand dominant) is the result of his misunderstanding as a beginner: The vise in his childhood tying kit had an adjustment knob that he believed was intended to be on the tyer's near side; this resulted in the jaws pointing to the left, and young Charlie using his non-dominant hand for the bobbin.

Some of us are ambidextrous or nearly so, and some of us have far less cooperative non-dominant hands. People should do what works for them. Looking at Charlie's tying, his skill is obvious; but I think it's fair to say his tying today would be equally impressive if he had pointed that vise to the right on day one. So much of tying is "mental."

I agree with utyer & Bugsy. I read Charlie's statement in his book, and wondered if it was a misprint by his book publisher/editor. Instead of trying to figure out his statement, (and my advice to you) is to tie which ever way is most logical and comfortable to you.

Bill

Thanks for all of the replies. I haven't tied any flies in over 30 years,so I consider myself a beginner again. I'm gonna stick to tying with my right hand,please don't tell Charlie,Lol! If tying left handed was better,I'd give it a try.

I was concerned about viewing pictures for a right handed person,and trying to flip them over in my head.

P.S

I'm a slow learner,and I forget twice as fast ! ;0)

I did read all of Charlie's book, and I found everything else in it very well done. I might not agree with the off hand tying method, but I think that his book is still worth reading and if your a beginner, owning.

Charile was the manager of the local flyshop when I learned to tie, and I took beginning fly tying from him. I'm very fortunate.

In the first class, Charlie explained his thinking on right vs left. He did not insist either way, and the class split 50/50. I'm a righty and tied Charlie's way during the class and for a few months afterwards. I know at least one student who still ties Charlie's way.

The material hands activities are a lot more nuanced than just holding material. Pinch wraps, holding hair on top, holding material out of the way all require some finesse. I believe you can teach either hand to wrap or hold. No one starts out with great skills. You have to teach each hand its job.

As to viewing photo and video instructions. Most of them put the camera facing the tyer, so you have to reverse the image anyway.

So, why did I switch?

Scissor hand and cutting angle. Even Charlie cuts with his right hand. When you tie reversed, the scissors are in your material hand, The scissor tips naturally point from the back towards the front of the fly, so you have to maneuver across the back of the fly. This presents completely different obstacles than a standard tie.

For example, cutting the butts of and Elk Hair Caddis wing. Normal tie - butts stick out right, scissors come from right - easy. Reverse tie - butts stick out left, scissors from right - wing is completely in the way, and it's extremely awkward to reach around with scissors. Watching Charlie, you will never notice any difficulties. He's tied many thousands of flies and has worked out the best way to cut every situation. But if you learn from standard instructions, you will have learn some cutting adjustments for yourself.

Standard fly tying patterns are developed with cutting from the thread hand in mind. If there's an awkward position, instructions will often include cutting tips. When you cut reversed, you have to come up with your own workarounds.

just because charlie craven ties the way he does doesnt mean you have to tie the same way as charlie craven. i'm glad he didnt write about jumping off a bridge smile.png

tie flies in the manner which is most comfortable to you

charlie_zpsg5g5lhja.jpg

after 35+ years of tying flies my hands know exactly what they are doing. retraining them now would be absolutely pointless :)

I agree with tying the way you feel comfortable. Honestly I have big hands and if im tying really small flies I can't even feel the material in my fingers anyway lol

I can see why so many people recommended this book.The instructions and pictures are very helpful.I'm going to start at the beginning, and tie each fly until I get it right,and then move on to the next chapter,for a new fly and a new technique.

My local fly shop didn't have everything I needed to get started,so I had to order some stuff online. Hopefully I'll get my materials by the middle of next week.To save on shipping,I ordered enough materials,for the first five flies in the book.

I'm going to start at the beginning, and tie each fly until I get it right,and then move on to the next chapter,for a new fly and a new technique.

Excellent philosophy. I wish more people would look at learning curves this way. These days, too many people think watching a couple of videos on YouTube makes you an expert.

I deal with students like that everyday. Then comes "a breath of fresh air" ... someone who is willing to learn something new, even if the subject matter is well known.