Fly Tying
Troutbum11

Flies to teach new tyers??

Hey everybody,

I am putting together a pretty large youth fly tying and fishing event for a local rod and gun club. I have taught kids on a one on one basis many times but never in a group like this. We will have multiple tyers there but I am currently brainstorming about what flies to tie during the program. They will have to be simple as this is a beginner course and many, if not all, of these kids have never tied before.

So I'm looking for easy to teach patterns with simple material lists. Right now I'm just thinking wooly buggers and maybe san juan worms for the young kids.

The idea is to have the kids tie a fly and then take it out to the pond outback and catch a fish or two. (in a perfect world haha)

Any help would be great! Thanks guys!

I think a craft foam spider was about the easiest and most effective fly I started with. All you need is chenille, foam, and legs. Or just foam and legs.

What fish will you be targeting? Trout, bass, or what? For trout, I like an olive or black wooly bugger as an all-around fly; easy to tie. Would work for bass, also. I also tie what I call a Simple Simon. It's basically an Adams without the wings. I figure that trout are looking and don't necessarily see the wings. It is as follows:

#10-16 dry fly hook

Three or four dark feather filaments for a tail- whatever you find in the park or the backyard

Underwrap with tan thread

Tan dubbing for the body

Two or three turns of brown or ginger dubbing

The pond is a warm water pond with the typical bass, bluegill and catfish. But the club stocks it with large trout seasonally as well. We will probably target the bluegill just because they are the easiest in my opinion. Just trying get the kids into some action with a fly they created. I know that's all it took for me to get hooked on this amazing sport.

Thanks for the ideas guys! keep them coming!

I like the foam spider idea but it doesn't teach much technique. As always I recommend going to www.flyanglersonline and scrolling down to beginners fly tying, for a very well-thought-out selection of beginner flies.

Maybe some flip flop poppers? You would have to ask Mike about those, thats in his ballpark. That would give the visual effect to kids, and trust me, kids LOVE the visual effect.

The spider idea is the best for a kids event, imo. Tie and fish in no time.

To actually teach someone, i would go with clouser, deceiver, wolly and gurgler. That covers it for me.

Since you have a pond to use your creations - A basic winged ant will teach how to add dubbing, control your thread, tie in hackles and palmer but is a very simple pattern. Something like an Elk Hair Caddis is also a good choice showing some basic skills and making a fly that is good all season long.

I like a foam spider or a beetle mainly because I think first and foremost you want the kids to catch something on what they tie more then you want them to learn technique. For a kid technique is boring especially if their technique driven fly catches nothing. Foam beetles and spiders should catch a lot of blue gills and possibly provide the motivation for a few new tyers.

foam spider or a beetle

For a kid technique is boring especially if their technique driven fly catches nothing.

Agreed ... and also if those kids are not 100% interested in tying flies. A simple top water fly, get out there and have fish attack it (they don't even have to actually catch one ... the hit is exciting enough), and you'll have a youngster hooked on fly tying and fishing.

An hour to tie a fly, half hour to learn how to cast, no visible hits or caught fish ... possibly, that kid will never pick up a rod again.

Thanks for the details. I have caught bluegill on small poppers but don't put on legs as the 'gills grab the rubber legs and pull them under. Something with only a couple of materials would be good. Small WB, perhaps. Short marabou tail, chenille, palmered hackle would be simple to tie. I tie as small as a #6.

foam spider or a beetle

For a kid technique is boring especially if their technique driven fly catches nothing.

Agreed ... and also if those kids are not 100% interested in tying flies. A simple top water fly, get out there and have fish attack it (they don't even have to actually catch one ... the hit is exciting enough), and you'll have a youngster hooked on fly tying and fishing.

An hour to tie a fly, half hour to learn how to cast, no visible hits or caught fish ... possibly, that kid will never pick up a rod again.

Sure doesn't describe me lol