Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fletchfishes

Dubbing Dispenser

Anyone seen empty dispensers like this for sales in the US:

hends_microflash_dispenser_light_380_301

Here's an overseas spot selling empty ones:

https://shop.goflyfish.cz/en/fly-tying/136-dubbing-dispenser-empty-case.html

I can only find full ones in the US. Like the design as it's nice and compact but don't really see the need to pay for overseas shipping for a plastic set of tubes...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Can we say 'Zip-Lock"....

I'm not at all sure ii would like that thing.

fwiw, Waspi has a dubbing cube with thirty compartments, that I've seen sold empty, but also on European sites. .

That just looks like pieces of polycarbonate green house panel.

https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/polycarbonate-panel-8mm-clear?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIupvOk5eX3QIVzMDACh2XPggiEAQYASABEgKmbvD_BwE

You might be able to find remnants if you find a place that builds/sells green house supplies.

I have a few dispensers I bought filled, but for home made or dyed, I always use small ziplocks with the corner cut out. Easy to store and see the contents.

I took a bunch of $1.50 round tackle boxes from walmart, step drilled a 1/4 inch hole in them, then made a tower out of a dowel rod and a round plaque, works great. And you can turn individual levels instead of the whole thing.

These are the ones from Wapsi. I really like the small size, 2.25" x 2.25" x 1.75" with 30 individual compartments. Refill when needed from coffee grinder blender or from store bought bags.

MTkfAYu.jpg

For the original poster, you could find either long tubes (or squares as in the original link) at hobby lobby or one of those stores and glue them together. Should be very inexpensive and take all of 5 minutes.

That said, I do not like any of these options. There has to be a better way.

The Wapsi ones are numbered so you can keep track of what material is in which bin but you need a paper, book, or digital note that is up to date and easily accessible when needed to match up the number to the material. With these other options, the dubbing names and colors are not easily matched with what's in the bin.

This is a huge problem because I never remember which color is which, which dubbing is made of what material, which are for dries and which for nymphs, etc. I have tried several options but nothing works. Instead I leave them in packages, put them into a drawer, and rifle through looking for what I need as needed. Not ideal for me, let alone for someone with 100s of dubbing packages.

If you have enough room, then it seems like pegboard and hooks, or something similar, would work well. If you have wood lying around and enough room to have them sitting somewhere, then what I did for my hooks might work (and be cheap and easy):

28b46dx.jpg

I'm still on the hunt for an ideal dubbing holder/dispenser that doesn't require me to have a separate lookup table or mechanism.

FishnPhil, I keep dubbing in the packages for that very reason. Label tells exactly what's in it. I keep types separated in drawers of my tying desk. That is usually mixed dubbing, synthetic, or both. Much of my dubbing is still on the skin. If I make my own, I put it in small ziplocks that I have gathered over the years. If I had hundreds of packages, that would be impossible to manage but I would reflect on the possibility of dubbing obsession.

Mike has it. It is poly carbonate sheet. Just cut to a convenient size for your use.

Cheers,

C.

You can buy a 2'x2' piece of that at the ePlastUSA place in Wi. for $15 or up to 6'x24' for $275 and start producing them to sell.