Fly Tying

There are so many variations of the clouser minnow, its hard to keep track of them all. One of my favorites though is this sparkle clouser. Especially when I have fish that are super aggressive, looking for shiny and fast moving lures.

Being tied with all flashabou, this will shimmer and shine in the water, attracting fish from far away. It also moves quite quickly and sinks very quickly as well. Its a great little fly which I have used to catch smallmouth and largemouth bass, barracuda, crappie, redfish, sea trout, striper, and even trout. They were tied with different sized hooks though for each of those species. Also, there are other fish this fly would catch well, just I haven't actually fished for them with it yet.

Hook: Gamakatsu SS15 - Size 2
Thread: Danvilles 210 Flat Waxed - Blue
Weight: Lead Dumbbell Eyes - Medium
Body: H20 Pearl Baitfish
Adhesive - Super Glue
UV Resin: Solarez "bone dry" UV curing resin

Nice pattern, I never fish with closers because i really don't like the look of the traditional bucktail variations, but this variant i quite like! As you mentioned it would sink like a rock and be very visible and sparkly, makes me want to try it for tigerfish or something... (not that i have a tigerfish fishery anywhere near where i live (sweden 😅))

Bulb, I'm the opposite, i think the bucktail versions look the nicest. However this does work better in certain situations while the bucktail works better in others. Really all the major variants are good, and work for different situations.

So how's the fishing up in Sweden?

Me and a friend of mine had a little fishing contest for bass and bluegill at a local Kansas lake and he used a fly like that only with copper dumbbell eyes. I am a way better fisherman then he is but truth be known, he kicked my butt with that fly. Tied small like on a size 10 streamer hook. He would cast it out, let it settle on the botton, and drag it with the rod, then strip in the slack, drag with the rod, strip in the slack. I was impressed enough to make damn sure I had some the next time we faced off again. Man, I hate loosing!!!

looks like an anorexic kreelex fly

Kreelex-is-back.jpg

Those are good flies as well, the material being more krinkely means it bushes out a bit more than flashabou, but essentially the same fly... just a different material.

Me and a friend of mine had a little fishing contest for bass and bluegill at a local Kansas lake and he used a fly like that only with copper dumbbell eyes. I am a way better fisherman then he is but truth be known, he kicked my butt with that fly. Tied small like on a size 10 streamer hook. He would cast it out, let it settle on the botton, and drag it with the rod, then strip in the slack, drag with the rod, strip in the slack. I was impressed enough to make damn sure I had some the next time we faced off again. Man, I hate loosing!!!

Tie these up a little smaller and they would be an awesome bluegill fly.

Im definately with ya when it comes to the closers effectiveness, got alot of respect for the pattern for that reason.

Truth be told I've barely fished anything back home this season but I'm planning to head to the closest trout river later this week. The populations of trout and grayling there are unfortunately not that great but its a really big river and large specimens are still around (and lots of pike/zander/perch too). The really good fishing (for trout char grayling etc.) is way north and i don't own a car so my fishing on home turf is pretty limited :/

The pike/perch/zander fishing in the archipelago is on the other hand just around the corner and really good, but the problem there is you need a boat.