Fly Tying
despatiesim

My flies for my first saltwater trip

Hi all, haven't posted in a long time. Just wanted to share the flies I tied for my upcoming saltwater trip to Mexico. This is going to be my first saltwater trip and I've been tying for the last few months gradually building what I think covers the basics of what I'll need. I'm leaving in 4 days for a week targetting Roosterfish, Dorado (mahimahi), Sailfish, Marlin and Tuna. They are not the best ties, but should be good enough for these aggressive fish. I've tied mostly on tubes, but a few regular hooks too just for good measure. The count is at 98... Hope I have enough for the whole week!! Haha!

I've got some big Billfish flies for trolling. Lots of sardina patterns made of either flash fiber (which should hold a certain form when stripping madly) and angel hair (for more flash, but doesn't hold its form as well). Crease flies for topwater action. A few synthetic clousers to get down deep if needed. And a few mullet patterns to mix things up a bit!

Well wish me luck! I'll try to post a report if I catch anything!!!!

Cheers!

post-54260-0-75939600-1530247403_thumb.jpg

post-54260-0-58220300-1530247411_thumb.jpg

post-54260-0-14014000-1530247421_thumb.jpg

post-54260-0-09721100-1530247429_thumb.jpg

post-54260-0-61410300-1530247437_thumb.jpg

post-54260-0-13493300-1530247445_thumb.jpg

post-54260-0-00842500-1530247457_thumb.jpg

Impressive! I hope you need everyone because the fish are hitting them like crazy! Of course, I also hope you don't lose them ALL before your last day on the water !!!

BEER OK...

WATER... NOT so much...

That applies to everywhere!🍻

Thanks guys for the kind words! We'll see if the patterns I chose are effective in fooling the fish. If not there is the beer… and tequila… and Mexican wines I'm looking forward to taste… and the local food… and… well I guess good fishing is a bonus!!! haha!!

SImon

Nice Crease flies, what size and type tubing do you use over the fly for the scale effect?

Seems like you have the flies covered.

However, do you have the casting covered? I am not trying to be rude or anything like that, but you should probably be practicing that double haul, a lot, until you get the hang of it. It's going to be windy, the gear is heavier, and the flies are bigger. This is going to require a good, fundamentally-sound double haul. Trolling flies won't matter, just hold on! Just make sure that you step on that plane, or whatever transportation vehicle(s), being prepared to cast. I am telling you this from experience - being unprepared on a trip is extremely frustrating.

Hope you don't take this the wrong way, just don't want to see you make the same mistakes I have in the past.

Flats

No worries Flats, I truly appreciate your input which I think is dead on. I've been casting a long time and have a decent double haul. Being an Atlantic salmon fisherman, I've cast bombers over salmon with a 9 foot 9 wt for hours, often making the 60-70' casts. I also fish for pike and Musky with 8-10 inch flies that cast like a wet sock. I've been practicing with my 12 wt and these flies as I can to get ready (get the arm muscles ready). I've been reading all I can (several books on fishing these species) and appreciate the need to get quick casts off with very little (read) no false casting for these super fast fish. I've been practicing the stripping as fast as I can, along with sweeping the rod to keep the speed up. I've got the gear and lines in double because something IS going to fail on me. And all this said...

I know I haven't the craziest idea of what is coming to me!!!!! Haha! I'm going to have to learn a lot real fast when I'm actually 2 feet right in the middle of it! And I guess that's part of the fun. I know I'm not going to be Lefty Kreh, but hopefully I'm ready enough to catch a few and have a blast doing it!

I definitly think you are right that being able to cast decently is Uber important. I know I can get the 12 wts out there fast. I'm mainly concerned about the endurance of casting a 12 wt all day. for 6 days! I've been preparing my mindset to conserve energy and make casts that count, as it will mainly be sight fishing from what I understand. Being ready, and making a good calculated cast at the right time… But Again, all good intentions (and theory from someone who hasn't done it before). I'll see how it pans out and aim to have fun whatever arises! And I'm sure its going to be a lot harder than I expect! If you have any good advice, I'm all ears and will try to use it as best I can!!!

And I'll certainly be writing up an account of how well (or miserably) I did.

Cheers!

Simon

FSHNG2 I used ''XXX Large saltwater mylar tubing'' in pearl. available at anglers workshop. It stretched enough to fit over the big body of the crease fly. Sorry, am unable to post a link. The site...

I was getting the hang of epoxying the mylar to the foam body with no wrinkles by the end…. Takes some practice

Simon

Really a gorgeous set of flies!Hope they stand up well against toothy critters!