Fly Tying
FlaFly

New camera

I was just given a used (but barely) Sony DSLR A230 by a friend who is too incapacitated to use it anymore. I've tended to always use just the automatic settings on my other cameras, and not used to so many choices. But it does have an automatic macro setting so maybe I'll finally be able to get some decent shots of my flies.

Stay tuned.

You've got a great camera there.You will be shooting with the manual settings before you know it.I have the sony a300.I use my canon equipment alot more now but i still use the sony.It takes great photos.

I already downloaded the PDF manual. There was one in the bag but the text was so small I needed a magnifying glass to read it.

I have a Canon EOS SLR but it is a film camera, and I haven't used it for ages. I really liked it but can't justify the cost of replacing it with a DSLR version, especially now. The Sony came with a couple of extra lenses which I haven't looked at yet to see what they are. I had extra lenses for my EOS... wonder if they'd fit on the Sony??? Maybe I'll check that out. Lately I'm too busy with my music and dancing to do much else.

You can buy an adapter to fit the Canon FD lenses to the Sony Alpha camera.http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Adapter-Optical-Minolta-Camera/dp/B00JE0IHYS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1439640040&sr=8-5&keywords=canon+fd+lens+to+sony+alpha+mount.

If you are wanting some great macro photos try a reversing ring.This is a small ring that screws onto the front of the lens and allows you to mount it backwards on the camera.Works great with a 50mm lens and takes awesome close up photos.I don't think it will work on the automatic setting though.

Thanx Steve. I haven't had a chance to look at the lenses that came with the A230... for all I know they may be functionally the same as the EOS ones. I plan to take things in steps... first try using the camera as it came and see how that works, then progress on to things like your suggestion if I feel it's needed. I know there have been some threads on the forum in recent past concerning how to photograph flies. I plan to go over them again and glean useful ideas so I don't make everyone have to restate them.

What I wish someone would invent is a gizmo that can be implanted into a film camera to convert it to digital. If we can make a computer the size of a wrist watch, that should be a snap, don'tcha think? That way my expensive EOS wouldn't have to be obsolete.

They make them for the expensive mamiya cameras but they cost more than our dslr's do.I don't think they will ever make them for the canon equipment.I have a couple old canon lenses that i use on my canon dslr's and i love them.They are a lot sharper focus than the standard kit lenses and you can buy them cheap.

I suspect you're right that they won't make them for the Canon, at least Canon won't, because they'd rather you have to buy a new camera than an add-on to your old one. Only way I can see it happening is for a different entity to make them for all the popular brands (EOS being very popular). I'll keep hanging onto mine hoping some day someone does.

The reason they don't make a digital adaptor for 35 mm film SLRs but do for the likes of Mamiya and Hassleblad medium format is that they have interchangeable film backs. the 35mm don't. It would require some major surgery to remove and refit the back of the camera and do it with the precision required. That was built into the medium format cameras, hence the expense.

As for using the Canon lenses on your Sony, by all means investigate it, there usually are adaptors. BUT don't try to fit the lens directly. I don't know if the Canon mount will fit into the Sony. Years ago the Practica mount would fit into the Pentax K mount. Once in there was no way to get them apart again. You were stuck with that lens permanently attached to the camera. A situation you will want to avoid.

Cheers,

C.

Thanx for the warning. Without it I might have gone ahead and stuck a Canon lens on the Sony. When I was using the Canon, I frequently changed lenses, so I for sure don't want to get one permanently stuck on the Sony!

No worries.The canon lenses will not fit directly on the sony camera.I own both.You will need an adapter.

The older Minolta Maxxum lenses are a direct fit on the Sony Alpha camera and some of them are pretty great lenses.I have a 70-210mm they call the beer can lens.It takes better photos than the sony 18-70mm or the Sony 70-300mm.The Minolta 50mm 1-1.8 can be bought super cheap and it is a great all around prime lens.Very sharp photos.