Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

10' 3pc medium action spin rod

kxKgG2.jpg
95wnPc.jpg
3mbAKE.jpg
iIDKE6.jpg

This one is a medium action about 8-10lb line test with burl seat and the microwave guide system. Actually used two sets of microwave guides on it because of the long length of the rod.

The only 10 foot spinning outfit I've ever used was a surf caster for salt water fishing. Long, heavy rod with a huge reel that could sling a 3 ounce weight well over 100 yards.

I can imagine using a light weight 10 foot rod. Seems like it would be fun out in open water. Too long for the close quarter skipping I do around docks and overhanging vegetation.

Beautiful work as always :) That looks like it would be good for steelhead. I went back and forth between a 10' spin rod and a 10' 7 wt. for my own steelhead rod -- as you know, I went for the 7 wt., but in the dead of winter, when chuck-and-duck is the order of the day, it probably makes more sense to just use spinning gear.

Anyway, nice rod! I'm sure the owner is very happy.

When I lived in Michigan, we used 11 foot soft action "noodle rods" for steelhead in small to medium streams. We usually paired it with a Shakespeare 1810 closed faced under hanging reel for the ultra smooth drag. We used very light line and when a fish was hooked, we would point the butt of the rod at the fish so that the rod would have a very pronounced horseshoe shape. I mention this just to say that a 10 foot rod should work just fine as a spinning rod.

Joe