Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Scud

Scuds are some of my favorite flies for trout. I have the best luck with burnt orange. I seem to remember reading somewhere that scuds tend to turn this color when they die, and a dead scud is an easy meal for a fish when it's simply dead drifting with the current. Trout appear to key in on this color opportunistically.

With or without beadheads, they're damned effective. Nice fly.

Hey Will,

Is that swiss straw you're using for the casing on the back of your fly? It looks really good, I may try some of those in a real small size for trout.

Fatman

No Fatman if you would have actually clicked the link to the database you would have seen that I used a small strip of a plastic grocery bag and I thought it came out really well....Just givin ya a hard time bud devil.gif

Scuds are quite the staple for many Southern Rivers.

A very pale pink in a 16 was one of the better patterns for the White during Summer months. I tied about a dozen for our last trip, but couldn't get them to go. I've never tried them up here.

one of the guys that i talked to at the expo tied up some scuds. i might start trying some of those soon too.

ralf, as far as up here, he said the mo is a really good place for them because of all the vegitation in it. might work really good up by your hunting grounds too