Fly Tying
SuperiorFlies

Favorite UV Resin?

Just curious, what is everyone's favorite UV Resin for fly tying? Tell us what you use, how you use it and why you like it!

I use Loon Outdoors UV Clear Fly Finish for wing cases on nymphs. It seems to be pretty durable and I really like the applicator bottles that the Loon products come with.

For body coatings on semi-realistic patterns, I just started using Deer Creek Fine Flex resin, but I haven't used it long enough to give it a proper review. It seems to be a great product and I like that the added flexibility makes it a little more resistant to cracking.

For other applications - heads on trolling flies and streamers - I have been using Misfit UV Bond that I picked up from Lund's Fly Shop a while back and it seems to hold up pretty well against aggressive fish.

Please share your thoughts about your own experience!

As seen on TV laser bond. $5 at a local store, transportable, light included. Small applicator. Have had no issues, a little tacky but clear nail polish fixes that. Builds great heads and has worked well working into feathers and bucktail.

post-61693-0-07702500-1509669614_thumb.jpg

post-61693-0-89213200-1509669801_thumb.jpg

From a previous thread.
CCG is no longer a viable alternative.

http://www.flyfishfood.com/2015/10/uv-resin-shootout.html

UV%2BResin%2BShootout.JPG
Forgot to mention I use the Loon products because it's cheap
and figured out a method so that it is tack free.
Been using the Wader Repair stuff since it first came out.
I also like the Deer Creek stuff.

I've tried everything except SilverCreeks UV Resin.

Kimo

First post ... is a product evaluation and call for discussion? Have you looked at the plethora of threads on this subject already?

Welcome to the site, SuperiorFlies. But please, introduce yourself and lets us get to know you a little.

My apologies for jumping right into discussion. This was just something that was on my mind and I was curious about what other tiers preferred to use. I'll admit that I should have done a little more research before starting a new thread on a subject that has apparently been covered extensively in other threads.

As for introductions, my name is Brandon and I own a fly tying business (Superior Flies) in Michigan's Upper Peninsula! I am also a third-year Biological Sciences major at Michigan Technological University. I have been following posts on this site for several years, but just recently decided to create an account to become more involved in the forum.

Again, I apologize for starting a new thread on this topic and will refrain from doing similar in the future.

No brand loyalties here. I buy and use whatever I can find for the least amount of money. My flies don't last long enough to worry about longevity, durability. Flexibility, thickness, thinness, tacky, or non tacky. to me it's all minutia When dealing with a fly that will have a relatively short working life.

My apologies for jumping right into discussion. This was just something that was on my mind and I was curious about what other tiers preferred to use. I'll admit that I should have done a little more research before starting a new thread on a subject that has apparently been covered extensively in other threads.

As for introductions, my name is Brandon and I own a fly tying business (Superior Flies) in Michigan's Upper Peninsula! I am also a third-year Biological Sciences major at Michigan Technological University. I have been following posts on this site for several years, but just recently decided to create an account to become more involved in the forum.

Again, I apologize for starting a new thread on this topic and will refrain from doing similar in the future.

First ... no apologies necessary. My post was to get you "more involved" than just a query. Many times, a first post generates answers, and then we never hear back from the OP.

Second ... thank you for the intro. I think we have a couple of "Yuppers" (sp?) on here ... and definitely some other Michiganites. We also have a few other fly tying/fishing business owner/operators. So ...

Third ... Welcome to the active side of the site. Hope to see a lot more posts from you. Now that we know you're "genuine" ... please feel free to query as much as you like!

After 40 post, you can advertise/sell in "The Trading Post" forum, near the bottom of the home page.

First ... no apologies necessary. My post was to get you "more involved" than just a query. Many times, a first post generates answers, and then we never hear back from the OP.

Second ... thank you for the intro. I think we have a couple of "Yuppers" (sp?) on here ... and definitely some other Michiganites. We also have a few other fly tying/fishing business owner/operators. So ...

Third ... Welcome to the active side of the site. Hope to see a lot more posts from you. Now that we know you're "genuine" ... please feel free to query as much as you like!

After 40 post, you can advertise/sell in "The Trading Post" forum, near the bottom of the home page.

Thank you for the warm welcome! I was hoping to see a few other "Yoopers" on here.. I look forward to participating in this forum and the opportunities it affords.

superiorflies

you did nothing wrong thus no need to aplogize. a lot of newbies to the forum do the same thing. no forum commandments were broken.

its always good to use the search function to find topics that have be talked about ad nauseum ("what vise should i buy" is one such topic) smile.png

if you plan to sell anything on the trading floor forum, please read the following

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=7198

so back to your question

i too use the misfit uvbond from lunds fly shop (rebranded silvercreeks uv resin) but have since switched to solarez bone dry as my #1 uv resin

Back on topic, I started out with CCG. Wanting something very thin and seeing good reports about Loon Flow, I picked some up. Now I just use Loon UV products.

Back on topic, I started out with CCG. Wanting something very thin and seeing good reports about Loon Flow, I picked some up. Now I just use Loon UV products.

I'm very satisfied with the Loon Thin that I use as well as their other products (head cements, hard head, etc.). I will probably slowly transition (as my other resins are used up) to using Loon products almost exclusively. One thing that I really like about them is the lack of odor compared to other brands. The Deer Creek Flex has a terribly strong odor that, if it was not for the flexibility, would push me to stop using it.