Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Beginner Bass Flies

tying bass beginner

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 DarrellP

DarrellP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:37 AM

I am anxious to tie some foxy clousers. They should make a good crawfish pattern. Simple to tie.
"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." John Geirach

#17 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:06 PM

This pattern would work well, you can use whatever dubbing you want, lots of the fly tyers dungeon dubbings like super kracken would work very well. Mcfly has lots of good you tube videos, nice clear and easy to follow.

http://www.flytyingf...=88287&p=739573

#18 Charlie P. (NY)

Charlie P. (NY)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:52 AM

Add some rubber legs to your wooly bugger. Weight it with a bead or lead wire. Fish it on the bottom. It makes a good crawdad imitation.

That sounds like a Charlie Craven Haymaker (which is a BH Woolly Bugger with rubber legs).  One of my favorites.  Deadly on trout in the smaller sizes, too.

AdobePhotoshopExpress_2017-06-15_02-03-1

Instructions at the end of the below newsletter.

http://lectu.org/wp-...12/2016Fall.pdf

Not that Pearsall

Pearsalls_logo.gif

#19 flymanaj

flymanaj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 07:20 PM

I like to add rubber legs and dumbell eyes to your wooly buggers they make a good crawdad patterns.DSCN7545.jpg

#20 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 01:56 PM

Can't get much simpler than a large mop fly.  These run 2-2 1/2 inches long.

P2160129.JPG

P2160131.JPG

A little extra work and you can turn it into a fly that swims in the surface film.  The foam is a piece of a 1/4 inch foam cylinder and the mop material is treated with Water Shed, any liquid floatant will work.

P2160126 (2).JPG

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#21 TheCream

TheCream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:10 PM

My vote is the Murdich Minnow.  You can make it more complicated and two/three tone the colors (like I usually end up doing) but you can tie them in solid colors, it's a 5-minute fly, pretty durable, easy to cast, and catches bass like crazy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tying, bass, beginner