Fly Tying
caloosa bug

Non-typical materials

Now that I've got into tying, I find myself always looking for something I can use on a fly. I've used everything from easter grass and shag carpet pieces to synthetic hair extensions and condoms. The whole crafting side of tying has been fun, as I am no crafter or artist at all. But when it comes to fishing I love every aspect of it, including making something myself to fool a fish. What are some non-typical materials you've used in fly tying?

Stuff like you've mentioned. Anything from Dollar Tree that can be tied to a hook ...

Those wrappers on Babybel cheeses. Translucent red....great for making chironomid bodies. Almost a little like the anti-static bag material.

J

Mike... in the past you've mentioned Dollar Store beads for use as plastic eyes. I've roamed the aisles and not been able to find what you're talking about. Are they snap-together beads or strung? How big (diameter) are they?

dryer lint for dubbing. different color blankets gives your lint different colors. Its kind of cool.

Also, I have used my dog's hair to tie ants before.

I have used dryer sheets, tea bag, coffee filters, and tissue paper for wings, and bodies. The older aluminum inner seals from yogurt cups for tinsel ribs. Various electrical wire for ribbing. Christmas tree tinsel, in place of flashabou. Every conceivable type of yarn for dubbing. Craft yarn in place of EP fibers. Most of my thread comes from Craft stores.

Sometimes they are in the "party" section, especially when there's a holiday approaching.

Sometimes they are in the "toy" section. Toy necklaces.

Often, there are "costume racks" set out near the front, and I often see them there, too.

The bead sizes are on the large size, usually. Great for large streamers, etc. Once in a while, I'll find a set that has smaller sized beads.

One of my favorites is to use green tooth floss for bodies on scud hook midges . . .

Use old cassette or 8 track tapes for wings and back material.If you stretch it,it makes great ribbing and legs.You can buy a cheap spinnerbait at walmart for $1 and use the skirt for legs and other things.Use paint brush bristles for antenna and tails.

Soda can ...

to make shiny "Soda Can Minnows."

Large copper wire ... to large for ribbing ... and necklace beads

to make "Permanent Eye Flies"

Don't forget to to try craft stores like Hobby Lobby. You can find plastic beads, and doll eyes. You can even find some more conventional materials like marabou, pheasant and peacock tails.

I have been known to pick up hair extensions at beauty supply stores for use in streamers. A lot of folks use Sally Hansen for head cement. Try it in different colors or even some of the sparkle stuff.

As Mike said lately ( last three years ) all the bead chains are on the large size. A couple years ago they had loads of smaller ones that I think were around Mardi Gras time of year. I may have enough to last me but always looking for more as I've given away a bunch on here. If they ever show up again I'll buy em all and sell on here for vacation money, like well maybe a day off from work. Ok half a day.

Ok... I will ask...

What on earth do you tie with condoms that you could not tie with some other material?

Were you joking and I missed the humor...?