Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryon Anderson

Landing Net #2

My most recent net -- this one is a little larger with a longer handle, for use when fishing from my kayak. Walnut and Maple. Last photo shows it all shiny with some oil finish; it's also going to get a couple coats of marine spar varnish, then a black soft rubber "Nomad" net from Fishpond. I'm liking how this one is shaping up. :)

post-36073-0-60728300-1582211888_thumb.jpg

post-36073-0-70046300-1582211923_thumb.jpg

post-36073-0-80082400-1582211947_thumb.jpg

Nicely done. Truly cool hobby/business.

Thanks Mike! There are quite a few net makers out there doing truly next-level work (e.g. www.bitterrootnets.com, www.flyfishingnets.net, etc.), I don't know that I'll ever be much more than a hobbyist compared to those guys, but I do intend to live for a while yet, so who knows, maybe someday a business as well. :)

Don't sell yourself short Bryon, that is a great looking net and hard to believe that's only your 2nd one. When you truly enjoy what you do you get good at it in a short time. I can tell you enjoy building them.

Don't sell yourself short Bryon, that is a great looking net and hard to believe that's only your 2nd one. When you truly enjoy what you do you get good at it in a short time. I can tell you enjoy building them.

Wow, thanks for the kind words Steve. I do enjoy the work. I don't have to tell you how long the not-fishing season is in Michigan -- a guy needs his other hobbies! :)

Excellent work for nets 1 and 2. The skills they are a building. I'd like to see the actual handle piece not so wide and the hoop staves brought down further into the handle so when shaped you get that same sweeping wood transition you have but going down to the middle of the handle or even the entire handle and back out. Don't take this as a negative, I think they look great as is. I've always wanted to make nets but just can't seem to find the time to get started.

Excellent work for nets 1 and 2. The skills they are a building. I'd like to see the actual handle piece not so wide and the hoop staves brought down further into the handle so when shaped you get that same sweeping wood transition you have but going down to the middle of the handle or even the entire handle and back out. Don't take this as a negative, I think they look great as is. I've always wanted to make nets but just can't seem to find the time to get started.

Good advice all around Poopdeck -- I agree. I also want to work on making my handles more cylindrical, not so square. I actually get to go hang out with a very talented net maker in Grand Rapids (Sam Lacina, owner of www.flyfishingnets.net) this Saturday, so I'm hoping to pick up some valuable pointers there.