Fly Tying
cvansickler

Sting Ray Protection

Does anyone have any ideas on boots and leg guards for Sting Rays. I have heard about Ray Guard boots and leg protectors. Any other recommendations.

I'm sure that you know - the best protection is to shuffle your feet.

A decent size ray develops quite a "whip", so I would be hesitant to believe that anything that is comfortable enough to wear without chafing would provide much protection. How deep are you wading? Most solutions don't go much above knee high...

Just shuffle your feet.

I'm from florida originally and spent many years wade fishing there without ever being hit. They will move before you even get close if you just shuffle.

I have heard about Ray Guard boots and leg protectors. Any other recommendations.

If you've heard about Ray Guards from Texans, you don't need any other recommendations. They are made in Halletsville and used heavily all along the Texas Gulf Coast: RayGuard Flats Boots.

IPB Image

My RayGuards are comfortable. They can be a little bulky, but they are also heavily protective. I do not believe at ray's spine will penetrate them. It is far better to be safe than sorry.

On the Texas coast, there are quite a few people who shuffle their feet who wish they had been wearing RayGuards while they shuffled along! All it takes is once.

A stingray's spine is vicious, a thick, hard cartilage or bone (not sure if rays build bone; don't think they do) several inches long, 6, 8, or 10 inches, with reverse barbs to insure you know you've been hit. If they nail you with this dude, you don't have to worry much about a toxin, but you do have to worry about vibrio in the water along with all of the other bacteria (Vibrio is the biggest problem and risk though and the bacteria associated with oysters and the stories you hear and read of people dying after eating bad oysters or infections after getting a cut while in the flats.)

Ray