Fly Tying
zip

A good source for copper wire

The other day i got board and decided to smash an old DSL filter line,inside there are little black spools with around 50 yards of copper wire wrapped around them,so basically i never need to buy copper ever again:)

Cord off an old hair dryer. It's a thicker gage. And I found a cord without any thing attach. Some kind of Computer cord. It has a very fine wire. They are both striped and hanging in my tying room!

BFR

Your local hardware store sells copper wire by the foot in almost every size and if there are nice workers sometimes they will give you the scraps for nothing, they don't mind a free clean-up!! If they don't give it away you can almost steal it for the price you can get it for, ACE Hardware has a 20% off-sale this saturday, go and pack a bag full and get some cheap stuff. Look on the aisle with picture hangers, sometimes there is copper wire their too. This is especially good if your wife will kick you out of the house for using her hair dryer cord.

Good Luck,

Jake

My favorite source of copper wire for tying is scrap 4-wire phone cable wire, aka "communication cable." You can strip off the colored plastic insulation or use it with the insulation intact. The Percy's Sand Eel pattern calls for the latter.

--Bill

There are SO many things out there with copper wire... Anything with an electric motor and many electronic devices... hair dryer, windshield wiper motor, aquarium pump, toaster, radio, the list is endless. Depending on the application - size of the motor, ac/dc, amps, etc. - the wire can be very tiny to big and bulky.

The only caution here is that the copper degrades due to heat/cold cycling. It can become faded and brittle. That and the fact that some of it will be dipped in varnish and hard to uncoil.

If you're lucky, you might even find some colored wire!

Tying on a budget.... I LOVE IT! :headbang:

My favorite source of copper wire for tying is scrap 4-wire phone cable wire, aka "communication cable." You can strip off the colored plastic insulation or use it with the insulation intact. The Percy's Sand Eel pattern calls for the latter.

--Bill

:D I've got about 15-18lbs of copper "jumper wire" and cat 5 under my desk :bugeyes: I saw this post and it got me thinking.... :) I was kinda curious if the insulation, when properly stripped would act as a great set of legs? I've got white/blue,blue,white/orange,orange,white/brown,brownwhite,red,green...and the funny thing is, its all scraps...from about 5' to 25' lengths