Fly Tying
Moushka

Compact Fly Tying Table with wings

I was having a garage sale a couple of years ago and one of the items was a TV Tray set with drop wings. I suddenly got the idea that it would make a great fly tying table so I sold the trays and kept the table.

I measured my rocking chair and than determined the best height for the table, sawed the legs shorter and added wheels. Than I built the bench on top in a way that allowed the Giraff light and magnifying glass steel plate to be removed at will.

I purchased my plastic shelfs at the local Fred Meyers and they hold an enormous amount of materials. I used a few hand tools: drill, router, saw, sander and finished with laquer.

I use the front drop leaf to tie on and the back leaf for drying flies. When not in use I coil the electric cord up and wheel the table to a corner of the room. The wonderful part of all this is that instead of being hidden away in my office every night tying flies, I am now in my rocking chair before the fire with the rest of the family. As long as I keep the table reasonably clean and wheel it away when compan comes all is well!

post-3453-1140279922_thumb.jpgpost-3453-1140280876_thumb.jpgpost-3453-1140281050_thumb.jpg

Almost forgot! I later built a rod wrapper that fits on the front wing of the table which allows me to use the lighting system when building rods.

Great idea and it looks great!

BTW what type of rotary vise do you use it looks nice... I've been looking around.

-Sam

Sam,

I'm tying on a Dyna-King Ron Abby Signature vise. I wanted a Barracuda and never dreamed I could afford a Ron Abbey; I was patiently watching for a Barracuda on eBay when the Ron Abbey came along. I was the only bidder and bought it new in the box for 1/2 price.

Previously I had tied on a Griffin Patriot which was a good sturdy vice, but I wanted a smoother rotary action and longer neck for large flies. I looked at renzetti but found the lower priced models to be inferior to Dyna King in workmanship. I tie down to size 20 and up to 6/0 without any problem. I am sure I could tie larger flies, but just haven't had the need.

Recently I got a great deal on a Griffin Montana Mongoose that I take with me when I travel. It's really nice and light, smooth action and has a nice carrying case. But after tying on the Ron Abbey It's just not the same. I get real pleasure every time I use the Ron Abby; there's no substitute for me after tying on a top notch vise.

:thumbsup: Greatley appreciated and thanks for taking the time to share that. ;)

-Sam

Very nice setup. Once the kids get a little older that is along the lines I was thinking. Something I can use and tuck away.

Nice setup Moushka!!! and ya just gotta love Dyna King vises. I've only got a Kingfisher but for my level of tying it's excellent but I really want a Barracuda, I could never explain the cost of a Ron Abbey style to my wife, she had a fit when I paid $68 for my kingfisher on sale. Oh well someday.

Fatman

Thanks everyone for the kind comments!

I forgot to post the rod wrapper that I built to sit on the front wing of the fly tying table. I can use the magnifing glass and light by just pulling them down and toward me.post-3453-1140834153_thumb.jpg

Nice set-up. I've been trying to figure out how to make my own tying station more socially acceptable, so I'll be on the lookout for a table like yours. My larger problem is trying to find a good permanent out-from-underfoot home for the big Rubbermaid boxes that hold my tying material. Might have to clear off some book cases in the home office for them, but then I wouldn't know where to put the books!

-- Bill

Bill,

PLEASE share any tips you have on making the big plastic tubs more presentable! My home office looks like hell! I have plastic shoe boxes of hooks on the bookshelf and tubs on the floor. The good news is that no one wants to come into my office unless they have to, but sometimes it even gets on my nerves!