Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Big Fly Bob

Pulse Discs

Has any one used any of the pulse discs with their flies? It's taken me a while to find what size and weight of flies work the best but the results have been amazing. I've been catching so many more bass this year than any other while using them.

Guest rich mc

there is an angler on dan blantons website that sing praises of them too. but i have never tried them rich mc

I was experimenting with the 'salt water' size group but the lakes around here this spring and summer

have been so filthy with farm run off and algae that I've given up on these waters for now & am waiting for fall.

The discs are a hoot to play with - when one gets just the right size disc/fly match, they can feel the 'pulse' coming

up the fly line on retrieve, just like if they were bringing in a lipped lure.

I've also spoken with Jim Matson, the inventor of these discs and he has been overwhelming helpful with

my questions and getting me started; I can't say enough good about the man.

If you're interesting in trying them, go ahead but mind, they do take some experimenting.

Well worth it!

How do they behave when you are trying to lift them out of the water to begin a back cast and do they tend to 'sail' in crosswinds?

Rocco

As long as they're in the water & being pulled, they'll pulse.

Other than that, they are well-mannered and behave nicely happy.png

(one can't really tear them out at distance unless you're Arnold)

I just fish them like any large fly, figure-of-eight,

lift out, wag line, back-cast, shoot.

Have not seen any sailing in crosswinds due to the disc.

I consider a fly with disc completely castable under any decent fishing conditions,

and taking a swag guess, I might lose maybe 5 feet off my total distance from the disc,

not a deal breaker by any means.

I've had no problems with back cast or forward cast. It seems no different in the cast that I can tell. Jack is right in that you can feel the wobble of the fly when retrieving it.

Sorry, a little late here, but I just ran across this.

Some months back I bought a pack of dished sequins at Wally World, super cheap as usual.

They were red, had a gently concaved shape, and as I recall, several sizes in the pack, all small enough for flies. Almost weightless of course like typical sequins.

I thought it was crazy at the time, but what the heck, fish like vibrations, and I figured they would provide that just like the lip on a crank bait. My plan was to slip one onto the bare hook right up to the eye with the dished side forward, then tie the fly behind it. It might get a little inconvenient working behind the disc, especially tying off, but probably worth the effort.

I can't conveniently locate the package to photograph. Just picture a typical sequin, except dished.