Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
strutnstuff

Wading boot studs

Got my first pair of wading boots after using hip boots for so long. Stopped at Field & Stream store today, shocked at the price $21-$30. I didn't want to spend that much. Any suggestions on alternatives? Thanks

Forget studs. They are only moderately effective, and wear out fast, though Kold Kutter is probably the best of the bunch. Instead, there is a new product called Rock Treads that you should look at. They are aluminum discs that you attack to the soles of your boots. They bite into the rock and give a very positive grip, also easy to walk with. No affiliation just happy customer.

Forget studs. They are only moderately effective, and wear out fast, though Kold Kutter is probably the best of the bunch. Instead, there is a new product called Rock Treads that you should look at. They are aluminum discs that you attack to the soles of your boots. They bite into the rock and give a very positive grip, also easy to walk with. No affiliation just happy customer.

So you have tried these? I can't see how a smooth disk will give grip. How much use have you given them?

Kevin

The aluminum is supposed to be the hot new thing. Supposed to work great, but haven't tried them. I have korkers boots with rubber soles, studded rubber soles, and studded felt soles. The studded rubber soles work very well for me, even on the algae covered slate bottomed streams in Erie PA.

I always hate to be one of those guys that replies with "I don't agree at all" to someone......but I can't help but say....I don't agree one bit with that.

I'm not sure what studs you have used but I have been using Korker boots with the carbide studs in them for the past 8 years. My first set of korkers with studs lasted 6 years and this current pair is going on 3 years now. I leave the studded soles in them 100% of the time and never take them out just because they are in fact so much more effective than anything else. Some of the sections of the Au Sable I fish are those slippery softball to basketball size rock and my Korkers with the carbide studs make is easy to wade. I have not tried the new disc styles ones yet so I'm sure they are probably very good, but I just had to reply to the idea that studded soles are not effective and wear out fast because I have not found that to be the case what so ever.

KoldKutters for the win. Effective and inexpensive. I used the Simms carbide tipped studs, they worked until the carbide falls out of the head of the stud and they are waaaaaaaay to expensive. The KoldKutters use a normal 1/4" hex socket to install (or a flat blade screwdriver). Throw the 1/4" socket into a drill and in 10 minutes or so both boots are done. They stay in quite well but will need replacing. Depending on your fishing habit the replacement interval will vary. I'd say I replace my whole set maybe 2x/year. We fish year round here in CO and I personally get in about 60 or so days on the river. YMMV.

I put this same question on FB and some of the guys say good thing about Rock Treads. I'm still taking it all in first. I do like to hear from people that use it and not the ones that sell it.

Kevin

Didymo with felt....thought that was purpose of studs and new tread engineering on rubber soles to avoid felt/ didymo spreading???? I just carry 3/8 long SS hex screws that insulators use in industrial insulation lagging on piping, etc. carry battery drill/ socket/ install replace. Real short hex heads kinda hard to find sometimes. Never seen them in luminum....