Fly Tying

When the wife isn't dragging me around Ashville and the Builtmore I intend to hit the streams hard.

We will be saying several days on the Cullasaja outside Franklin and plan to hit Deep Creek as well.

Question...in hopes of getting a nice brown what are some of the better streamers to toss. Also suggested areas close around Ashville to fish.

I've already got a bunch of nymphs and such but want to tie a couple larger (#6) black and olive bugger things.

Any and all suggestions / photos greatly appreciated.

Thanks

It's been about 12+ years since I was down there but last time I was in Ashville I fished the Davidson river. My memory is not that great anymore so can't recall exact spots we fished but I would highly suggest doing a little googling of the Davidson river/Ashville and put that stream on your agenda while you are there. I remember it being a crystal clear easy wading beautiful stream where we were catching 12"-15" bows so well worth hitting that. I also remember TONS of snakes! laugh.png

I think I have some pictures of the river from the trip in one of my old photo albums. I'll have to see if I can dig a few out to show ya.

Excellent info guys. I do believe I'll have to check out the Davidson.

Snakes don't bother me. Wife...different story.

I regularly fish maggie valley and Cherokee. As long as the water isnt up, quality fishing can be had in Maggie valley (Johnathon Creek) from several public access points on a $5 license. Fishing in GSMNP is also pretty great.

Check out the Rivers Edge Outfitters in Cherokee. Justin Pilat and Justin Hunt will be able to point you to fish.

Stop by Hunter Banks in Asheville and/or Davidson River Outfitters on the banks of ...yes you guessed it the Davidson River.

You didn't say when you would be there.... It does make a difference.

Davidson R is a favorite. It has several miles of "fly fishing only" as well as hatchery supported fishing at the lower end, and wild trout at the upper end. Also, Davidson River Outfitters has a private trophy section, if you want a monster brown.

If you will be there before June 2nd, In the same area are a couple of Delayed Harvest streams, heavily stocked, but they can't hold over the summer. North Mills and Little River are both nearby and fairly accessible. Then there's the Tuckaseege, a great fishery. Easy access, lots of fish, and several guide services in Sylva that can put you on fish.

Deep Creek is in the GSMP, and is wild trout. Depending on the conditions, they can be very challenging. Remember, the further upstream you go, the less pressured the fish are. A side stream worth looking at is Indian Creek. It too is wild fish, but mostly rainbows. It branches off the trail, to the right, at the upper end of the tubbing section.

Check out this WEB site maintained by the NC Wildlife Resources Commission:

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Fishing/Where-to-Fish/Public-Mountain-Trout-Waters-Search

You are correct phg I left out the very important time frame. May 14-21st with two or three days in Ashville area then heading over to the Franklin area where we will staying about four more days with friends who have property right on the Cullasaja just south of town a few miles.

A monster brown would be fantastic but any trout over 10" will also be great.

Thanks for all the input everyone..and the website phg

Fished Mills river Monday and caught a couple trout then the rains hit. Been in Franklin since Wednesday and watch the Cullasaja turn into the CullaRagea. Wild and muddy.

Still raining but found Cliffside lake and caught a few browns for dinner on a green woolly bugger. More rain coming but enjoying the mountains anyway

Was just there an mouth ago. If you stop at the fly shop you can get help to find the fish. I was staring my grandson and found lots of fish. What time of year it will be hard not to fish on top but it should be a good time