Fly Tying
thinkingredneck

Popper tail question

I apologize in advance for a tedious convoluted question. When tailing Bream poppers, do you use feather tips, calf tail, marabou or some combination? Are they just miniature bass poppers or do you proportion them differently? Mine all work to one degree or the other, but I am not 100% happy with them. How do you cover the tie in at the popper, do you use chenille a la Bob Clouser or hackle? If using feathers, what type, exactly? I am trying to tie traditional Arcardo type poppers as well as some of the newer stuff. Sorry for the question being all over the place.

For Bream they all work...they ain't picky. It's what gives you confidence in the fly. You can make them as simple or complicated as you like.

Personally myself I make them complicated and detailed but it's not necessary. It's really a great feeling when you have hrs into a popper and first cast you snap it off. :)

Everything you mentioned works.

Look at all the junk I have hanging off the back of these.

You could glue some bare cork or foam on a hook with a little tuff of what ever and it will catch Bream.

bream%201_zpsdmgx6hpi.jpg

As a very general rule if I want to imitate a small minnow i use something that will undulate for the tail usually marabou or rabbit, if i want it more buggy I will use calf tail or hackle also I use rubber legs on the buggy one. of course there are no rules. so mix it up, Add some flashabou or some crystal flash the bream aren't that picky seems to me they have more issues with the color and size I choose rather than than the materials

I usually use marabout, sometimes in combination with silicone legs.

post-309-0-61763700-1468977055_thumb.jpg

I guess mine are smaller versions of my bass poppers, though I usually add legs to them.

What I normally do is make up the bodies first. When I'm ready to start tying, I'll slide one on the hook and start a thread wrap. Remove the popper body, then tie in my tail material, and wrap some hackle over the thread portion, cover the front portion of the shank with thread, a coat of Krazy Glue then slide the body on the hook and let it set up.