Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fishboy

Saltwater flies for freshwater trout

I've fished Lefty's Deceivers for pike, trout, and bass with good success. Same with the Clouser Minnow and the Stu Apte II Tarpon fly is a pretty damn good trout streamer.

After seeing the Featherbrain in the Fly Pattern Database, and immediately thinking that I will tie it for pike, smallies, AND trout, I got to thinking (scary, I know).

What patterns- particularly streamers- have you guys found to crossover well for trout fishing.

Streamer fishing (ala "Galloup style", though I was doing it before his book, on the advice of a few of his guides) is bar none my favorite way to fish, and I'm always looking for another baitfish/sculpin/cray/etc. to add to the fly box. And I LOVE the looks of some of those "Salty Creations."

Thanks guys.

Derek

Alas, most of my salt water streamers are tied with artificial materials. I find small surf candies, rechristened trout and bass candies have worked in fresh water and have caught me a trout or two. Crease Flies tied slim and small caught me several trout on the Grand River(Ontario)and take them here in SE PA on occasion.

A couple of patterns that I tied for smallmouth, a Fuzzy Fiber minnow and a Polar Fiber minnow work on trout and translate to Saltwater very well. One that I tied up for salt water that I call a Spey Fleye, because Popovic's Semper Fleye was its inspiration, has worked well as a Smallie and Pike fly, I've got a couple tied in the 3 inch range that I plan to try over the winter and in the spring for trout. Another one that might work well if trout were feeding on fry would be the Schoolie Fly.

I had thought about modified Surf Candies (and an old article in American Angler or Fly Tyer said they worked well, also). I've tied a few Polar-fibre minnows for largemouths...will have to add them to the trout arsenal, as well.

One more question...I've heard of the Schoolie fly, but can't find a recipe. Any help?

Thanks for your reply.

Derek