Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
down2earthlv

New ways to choose woolys!

My 3 year old son loves the colors of all the materials in my box! I make a pile of chenille, a pile of marabou, and a pile of hackles, (all in the packages) then I instruct Jacob to pick out one of each. What ever he picks is how I build my bugger. He is pretty good about sitting still on my lap and keeping his hands down, as long as I can tie fast enough to keep his interest...... When you run out of ideas or start looking for new hot color patterns, try this out....you might be surprised how well your kid can design a wooly bugger!

Good concept there, you should post a fly or 2 of your collective arrangement.

Is that one of those new 'atomic buggers'... :bugeyes:

No way a fish will be able to ignore that one!

I'll see if I can get my kid to name it tonight......'atomic' probably wont be his first choice though.....I'm sure it will be sponge bob or something along those lines....

ill have to try that when i get a kid...lol!!! what the heck am i thinking about...im only 15

Easy there killer.....your time will come soon enough! I had my son before I could (legally) drink, I don't regret having him, but I do wish I had thought things through a little better. Believe me, your young years are much better spent fishing than chasing girls.....regardless what your hormones are screaming at you. If you listen to anything today, listen to all I've said........Anyway, Closing your eyes and putting your hand into a pile of materials works just as well.....and it's cheaper!! :hyst:

I new at tying,so my four year old son and I sit down and go through fly fishing magizines and he pics out some flies for me to tie and then when I finish we put the first one in his fishing hat. It works great, I learn to tie a new pattern and we still get to spend time together. :D

That's awesome.

My 8 year old ties up a lot of flies... mostly buggers, but humbugs and other things of his own invention as well... and the other day I stood very quietly off to the side as he taught my 6 year old how to tie up a wolly bugger. Man was that cool to watch.

down2earthlv - your posting reminds me of some flies that I tied with my kids to get them interested in fly tying. I had them pick out different colors of chennile and rubber leg material to create miniature versions of themselves. We would name each fly after themselves and I would fish the flies and tell them which one caught more fish. They loved mixing and matching the colors to make different versions and it was a a lot of fun for me to see how creative they could be. It turned out that these were very effective flies (I caught my first carp on a miniture version of my oldest son...).

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for reminding me of the fun we (my kids and I) had while tying "Little People" flies.

Here is a couple photos showing two of the flies. Enjoy.

post-4573-1152750209_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1152750238_thumb.jpg

I like the arrangment down to earth. my boy will have alot of fun with this. I was completely blown away when one of my teenage daughters asked if she could tie a fly. I gave her free reign of all that is on my table and left her alone. She went to town with no training or advice and created some great flies. I took her out to a local spot and we both hooked up with a fish on one of her flies. it was neat. Too this day i swear bye one of her creations. it speaks volumes for simplicity and it catches fish. especialy cold water early season fish.

The Kaylidh minnow

post-5673-1153966114_thumb.jpg

Cool looking fly she came up with!

My two kids conspired together on a new kind of woolly bugger where they tie in some colorful hackle tips at the top of the fly. Looks pretty cool. No idea how it fishes... everything is too weedy 'round here to be pitching a bugger.

It's just a fantastic thing to do with kids.

Sign in to follow this