Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Nice long day on the river

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:27 AM

With summer waning, I decided last weekend that I wanted (at least!) one more long, warm summer day floating a smallmouth river. I chose a stretch of Michigan's Grand River that runs through the Portland State Game Area. This was my first real foray on the Grand, even though I've lived within 30 minutes of it and driven across it almost every day for the last 18 years.

This stretch of the Grand is truly beautiful and very productive. I'd estimate that I had a smallmouth chase and/or strike my streamer on about every third cast, and I lost count of how many I landed and released.

In almost 10 hours, I saw only two small parties of recreational kayakers, and zero other fishermen. There were long stretches of time when I could not hear a man-made sound. It was blissful.

I hope to get in a few more river floats for trout, bass or steelhead in this year, but if I don't, I can honestly say I went out on a good one. :)

Attached Files

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#2 Mlandry

Mlandry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 04:20 PM

Sounds like an awesome day to me.

Mike

#3 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:40 PM

I did the same thing with the Delaware river. For years I drove over it, around it, and alongside it but never fished it. I'm less then thirty minutes from both the tidal and non tidal portions yet I would drive three hours to fish elsewhere. Then I had kids which forced me closer to home. Started fishing the river exclusively as I learned what a great fishery it was. That was almost thirty years ago and now I don't want to go anywhere else.

looks like a great trip was had. That's a nicely bronzed fish. I'm guessing the river is very shallow?

#4 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 02:37 PM

. That's a nicely bronzed fish. I'm guessing the river is very shallow?

Yes much of the river is quite shallow; depths range (in that section) from less than a foot to may e 6-7 feet. That fish came from some partially submerged wood in a backwater. Whenever I could drop a popper into the little spaces between tree limbs poking out of the water, a bass would absolutely blow up on it. It was a blast. 🙂

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#5 mikechell

mikechell

I'm Mr Freezemieser I'm Mr Snow!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,206 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 04:13 PM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  The only thing I miss from "up North" are the wade-able rivers.  Nothing remotely like it here.

There are a couple of sand bottomed creeks that can, kind of, be waded ... but they're buried in forested areas that make it impossible to fly fish.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#6 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 04:53 PM

Nice life lesson there Bryon, thanks for posting
cb27

#7 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

I see everything!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,565 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 02:06 PM

Nice Bryon. I really like the looks of that spot where you beached the craft as well that looks like a peaceful spot. Seems like summer flew by this year again didn't it? We're gonna tryin' get out for one last 3 day trout trip soon up there before the season is done.

Posted Image
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#8 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:52 AM

Yeah this summer had wings for sure. Glad to hear you're going to get out at least once more this season. I hope to do the same. I'm in Traverse City this week for work, so I'm hoping to hit the Boardman one evening. I'm going to try and hit that stretch of the Grand once more as well. Almost time to think about steelhead...