Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Hardest fighting freshwater fish?

fly fishing south africa yellowfish freshwater fish hardest fighting

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 DanielDuane

DanielDuane

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 01:12 AM

hi everyone, I've been doing a bit of research on what the hardest fighting freshwater fish in the world is, pound for pound. and everyone seems to have a different opinion. some say mongolian taiman, others say golden mahseer, and some say natal yellowfish, and there are many, many more opinions out there. Ive caught a couple of natal yellowfish, and tend to agree that these things fight SUPER hard. I've caught 30 inch trout, massive carp, and 6lb bass. but, pound for pound the yellowfish does seem to fight much harder. what do you think? 

#2 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,167 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:46 AM

Bluegill and other sunfish.  Ounce for ounce, the hardest fighting fish in the world.biggrin.png

I don't know the other fish you mention ... and will likely never see them, so I'm sticking with my answer.wink.png

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 Powershooter

Powershooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:49 AM

I would have to agree with Mike .
Bo Hamby

#4 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,167 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:51 AM

Hey Bo !!!

I'll be back in your area next January.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#5 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:29 AM

What Mike said, ounce for ounce bluegill; but the pound for pound, idk, I need to catch more big fish I guess.

I don't even believe in taiman, mahseer and other stuff that sounds like that. Myths and dangerous myths, stranger than sandy claws.

#6 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:58 AM

The hardest fighting fish are the biggest fish. When I get done traveling the world I'll let you know. So far Ive fished the crap out of PA, NJ, and SC and a little of VA and MI and the hardest fighting ones were the biggest ones caught in the most current.

#7 saltydancindave

saltydancindave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:12 AM

Other than what may have been a tiger musky which nearly spooled 200 yards before breaking off; peacock bass are like smallies on steroids & closer to or even harder than saltwater fly fishing fights with a number of species.

#8 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:49 PM

I'm sticking with Pacific Northwest Steelhead, final answer.

“The thing about fishing is that it gives a man hope.  Each cast builds a little hope and if he can lose himself to that hope, then the worries and the heartache fade into the background.  The wind inside him dies down for a while”

The Royal Wulff Murders, by Keith McCafferty

Fishing Bob

#9 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:50 PM

I haven't caught enough different species to answer this question with any authority, but I do recall fighting Chinook ("King") salmon on my father-in-law's boat on Lake Michigan. Even with a mighty thunderstick of a rod and a 26-foot boat with twin V-6 engines pulling against it, it could take 10-15 minutes to land a big one. That has to be in the running at least. :)

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#10 xvigauge

xvigauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:15 PM

There is no right or wrong answer. Like what Justin Wilson said when answering the question "What wine goes best with fish?" whatever wine you like. Which fish fights the hardest? Whatever fish you like.
Joe

#11 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:28 PM

Hook a large sunfish and have it chased by a very large bass.

#12 caloosa bug

caloosa bug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:39 PM

I've never battled much outside of Florida other than trout.  Pound for pound an Oscar would have my vote. They'd pull a bluegill of the same size backwards. Heck they are all tail!

#13 Mlandry

Mlandry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:25 PM

Smallmouth Bass would be my winner.

Mike

#14 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,774 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:51 PM

I'm not qualified to answer your question. My opinion would be various salmon but lb for lb who knows for sure. A bluegill is indeed mighty scrappy on a light rod.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#15 fishinguy

fishinguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:52 PM

Pound for pound in fresh water(I'm in North Eastern US) it's gotta be a bluegill or other sunfish. The tall body gives them so much resistance in the water for their size. They're almost permit shaped. Oddly though I find that crappie hardly fight much at all in comparison, considering their body shape. Best fight I've ever had out of a freshwater fish (non for caught, sorry) was a big flathead catfish in a river. Even with heavy gear they pull so much dragyou start to think they're just never gonna stop.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fly fishing, south africa, yellowfish, freshwater, fish, hardest fighting