Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Zebra midges - your favorite version?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Lucian.Vasies

Lucian.Vasies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 10:21 AM

Here are my zebra midges  that work  quite ok,  but  working to improve my  series.

zebra-midge-black.jpg

zebra-midge-olive.jpg

zebra-midge-red.jpg

Which is  your most effective version? of course for those willing to share :)

Thanks!

Lucian

#2 whatfly

whatfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 11:12 AM

Silver bead, silver wire.  Copper bead, copper wire.  Gold bead, gold wire.  White bead, red wire.  Etc.  Usually forego the flash because I've never found it to produce any better than those without, although have been experimenting with one off the bottom of the fly and that seems to work at times.  Have tried white wire ones like those above and they do work at times too.  Have tried a lot of different body colors, but tend to fall back to black or red more often than not.  Use glass beads often for the smaller sizes which make good droppers when using dries.  Really the combinations are endless.

#3 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,157 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 06:52 PM

Those are gorgeous, Lucian.  Perfect spacing on the rib.

I didn't use metal beads on mine.  Water's shallow and not flowing hard, so I don't want them to sink too quickly.  I don't tie, or use, many, and I don't have any pictures on hand.  

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#4 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 09:58 PM

I'm sure other species will eat these but are they primarily for steelhead?

#5 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 12:29 AM

The ones I used to tie for still water trout, called a small chironomid rather than midge , #22 Mustad dry fly hook, 5 turns of small lead at thorax area, silver wire tied in at half bend and spiraled forward over floss body, strongly tapered body of black or red floss from half bend to just behind eye, with a tuft of white floating yarn projecting forward over the hook eye ~3/32" said to represent gills

This would have been from a book or magazine in the late '70s, rather generic, I fished them in the film in the large ponds of southern New England, with good success.

I don't use midges where I fish now, it happens that I was going through some boxes a few days ago and found some, from back when.

#6 Lucian.Vasies

Lucian.Vasies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 01:18 AM

Guys, really appreciate your  comments !

Thanks a lot :)

#7 Lucian.Vasies

Lucian.Vasies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 01:19 AM

Oh, I forgot to tell you that I use them in  Alpine lakes in Italy. Wild lakes , small with spooky fish.  I use something with black and red too tied with catgut and a small white cdc  near to hook eye. It was my productive fly used on  the dropper.

#8 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 05:18 AM

Don't forget the Tiger Midge... Black with gold ribbing instead of black with silver.
cb27

#9 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,140 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 06:10 AM

I find a dull orange thread works well on the peaty waters I fish. Occasionally with a white bead but normally with a matt green bead.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#10 DarrellP

DarrellP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 07:32 AM

Is thr "Brassie" a midge/choronomid pattern? Never knew what they represented, but I caught a good many fish of various species on them.
"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." John Geirach

#11 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 01:17 PM

I will have to try some, I like them.

#12 notenuftoys

notenuftoys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 06:48 PM

I've had success using rust colored zebras.  And I always use a tungsten bead.  

A zebra midge is my go-to fly on any water I fish.  Sometimes I'll tie an unweighted fly behind it and let the zebra bounce off the bottom.  

#13 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 09:16 PM

@ DarrellP, yes

#14 DavidR

DavidR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 06:51 AM

I find Pat Dorsey’s Mercury Midges to be more effective, on the waters I fish, than Zebra Midges.

#15 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:22 AM

I find Pat Dorsey’s Mercury Midges to be more effective, on the waters I fish, than Zebra Midges.

You got pichers?