Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Thread Size

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bass master

bass master

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 09:40 AM

For us new tyers I think thread size is harder to understand than hooks. I came across this article in Fly Tyer magazine online. It helped me out a lot and I printed out the chart for a handy reference. I think its a good read and help.    https://www.flytyer....ng-thread-size/

#2 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 11:55 AM

Thanks for posting.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v

#3 redietz

redietz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 08:50 PM

For us new tyers I think thread size is harder to understand than hooks. I came across this article in Fly Tyer magazine online. It helped me out a lot and I printed out the chart for a handy reference. I think its a good read and help.    https://www.flytyer....ng-thread-size/

It was ok until until it said "Denier gives us an exact method for comparing the thicknesses of different threads".  It doesn't.  It gives us a method for comparing the weight of different threads.  Since different materials have different densities, two threads with the same denier may have different thicknesses and two thread with the same thickness may have the same denier.

Bob

#4 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 10:28 PM

Yes, that article neglects to say that denier only gives comparative size within a material, as redietz points out, It also neglects to say that the naught system only compares diameters  within a brand, because there is no standard industry wide. Neither system is more accurate or less accurate than the other, because both are relative, If anything the naught system might be more accurate if the brand includes threads of several materials and all use the same units. All 72 denier threads may weigh the same but won't all be same diameter, one brand 6/0 might be equal to another brands 8/0.

For accurate communication we need to include brand name and material in our descriptions. (although for most work any thread would work) 

I'm not sure that some writers and editors understand either system because I have seen several pieces promoting the accuracy of the denier system that did not account for the different mass of different materials.

This guy has made a chart of some common threads for comparisons;

https://globalflyfis...ng-thread-table

#5 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:39 PM

This is precisely why I decided a long time ago to pick a brand and stick with it. I picked Uni-Thread and it has been my go-to for the entire 20+ years I've been tying.

I have recently branched out a little -- I prefer UTC 210 for streamers and bass bugs, unless they're deer hair, in which case I go to GSP 130.

Oh, and I do have a spool of 16/0 something-or-other that I use for tying Parawulffs, because otherwise the wing posts just get too bulky for the #16 hook I like to tie them on.

Hook choices -- same deal. I was a Mustad man for decades, except for a few forays into eBay/knockoff territory (some of which I deeply regretted). I've lately been turning to Wholesale Fly Co. for hooks -- can't beat their prices and they're strong, sharp, well-made hooks.

FWIW, there are valid studies that show that when people are offered too many choices, they report feeling more unhappy. :)

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman