Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

bream bug weed guard?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DarrellP

DarrellP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 10:00 PM

I put mono weed guards on my bass poppers. I read that you can use a light mono weed guard on Bream bugs. Do any of y'all put weed guards on Bream bugs? If so, what type and what pound test?
"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." John Geirach

#2 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,167 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 10:05 PM

I tie a LOT of bream sized flies.  Top water and subsurface.

I don't use weed guards on anything size 6 or smaller.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 DarrellP

DarrellP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:50 AM

Do you hang up much? There are some places I have trouble. I usually tie on a popper dropper set up and do well. I guess I would rather lose flies than fish...

I love fishing for Bream
"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." John Geirach

#4 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,167 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:58 AM

I've never been a trout fisherman.  Mostly because I've never lived in trout country.  

Thus, my fishing has always revolved around Sunfish and Bass.  I've never used the hopper/dropper system.  Well, I can't say never ... since I tried it after reading about it here.  I don't like it and don't use it.

With a single fly, I can usually maneuver around surface obstructions.  I can usually hop a fly over or pull it through the cover I fish.  I developed my "Panfish Attractor" to come through subsurface weeds.  It uses Raccoon tail as a weed guard.

Aug 2017 Panfish Attractors (1).JPG

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#5 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 09:41 PM

Yes I do....I fish in heavy salad and timber and if you aint casting into that stuff you aint catching fish.
I really dont do it on a size 12 or under but on size 10-8 I use 10-12lb Mason hard mono..
And on my bigger bass bugs I prefer to use double 16# Mason more than 1 20#-25# test guard.

#6 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 11:08 AM

Most of my bream bugs range from size 6 to 10 and most of the lakes I fish aren't that weedy.   I cheat with my weed guards when I do tie weedless flies and use the Gamakatsu Weedless bass hooks.  The smallest I have are  either size 6 or 8 and  I don't think I've tied a fly on them.  Looks like I'll have to tie some on them to use them up.  Here's  what a larger one looks like.

Attached File  084.JPG   92.9KB   0 downloads

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#7 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 08:33 PM

For strictly targeting panfish, I'm with mikechell, in that I've used flies that invert the hook point and uses some of the wing material as the snag guard. This would be flies similar to Mike's, patterns like the Crazy Charlies or Gotchas and they've worked well. 

Otherwise, for panfish, I don't put weed guards on flies.

I do use weed guards on bass flies and some saltwater patterns. That's necessary like Mike West said, because of where the fish are found. I use 25 to 50lb Mason Hard Nylon, .015 stainless wire, and 80 or 90 lb nylon coated stranded wire for making guards. 

#8 Flicted

Flicted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:14 AM

I don't always want to use weed guards so I prefer a temporary method. I have used orthodontic rubber bands. Pull the band through the eye then hook the other end under the barb. Obvious limitations are barbless hooks and eyes that are too small.

#9 dflanagan

dflanagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:50 AM

I don't always want to use weed guards so I prefer a temporary method. I have used orthodontic rubber bands. Pull the band through the eye then hook the other end under the barb. Obvious limitations are barbless hooks and eyes that are too small.

That's a great idea. I just ordered some of those bands for indicator/bobber rigging but wasn't sure what I was going to do with the rest of the bag.

Thanks!

Tight lines,
David

#10 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,258 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 03:56 PM

i dont bother with weed guards on panfish flies

Fly tyers sure have a way at making things difficult

Why do you look at a persons profile after they make a post?

#11 Flicted

Flicted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:29 AM

I prefer not to. But I fish some waters that have huge crappie and bluegill but are so shallow that they have weeds to the surface over most of the surface area. If I'm in more open water, I never use a guard.