Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fish For Life

Bass on terrestrials

Instead of chucking out a popper or diver for some top water bass action, do many people go with a more subtle insect approach in terms on terrestrials? Something like a hopper, chernobyl ant, large beetle and so on. I would think that they would be very killer, how could a bass resist one of these twitching on the surface. Maybe add some rubber legs and keep them long for an irresistible wiggle on the surface. Im sure that many people already do this, just curious as to your opinions on the matter.

Thanks

I tie variations on a smaller gurgler or a hot lips that look pretty terrestrial and do well with bass.

Others, honestly, look completely extraterrestrial.

Can't speak to smaller flies like ants. Don't use them for fear I will only catch bluegills.

On creeks and small rivers during the summer low water I find larger smallmouth get more like trout. Smaller patterns work better at this time and they will gently suck down a beetle on the surface after they have thoroughly looked it over just like trout. Smaller fish will make a splashy rise and slam it like they haven't seen food in days. Every year I am finding it works better to treat smallies in my local river like they are trout but I won't be casting traditional dries. If something has been hatching and it's nymphs are on the move they will take up position in the current like trout and keep sucking down food no matter how small it is. I've watched largemouth in lakes refuse everything while slowly cruising along inhaling midge in full sunlight on hot afternoons. Two weeks ago I only caught a few small fish on the normal streamer and carp flies I like to toss but could see fish actively feeding. Light cahills had been hatching and a few females were coming back to the water that the morning. Small fish were splashing here and there taking them. I finally switched to a pale colored nymph and it was fish on for a couple of hours after that . Caught smallies from 1.5" up 17" So chuck that hopper or beetle on the water and see what happens, especially if you can sight fish. Sometimes you do need to weed through the little guys. Around here bass love hoppers in the late summer.

Sorry for the long post Mike

My experience is,,,,,, on a pond, I have pounded bass on hoppers, but on lakes, not so good. Keep in mind the lakes around me(Kansas) are packed with shad. The lake bass are more focused on shad. I wouldn't spend time with a hopper on a lake in my neck of the woods. Farm ponds, whole different story. Hoppers, crickets, small and large dragon flies, damsel flies, have all caught bass for me on ponds. Never tried a beetle or ant. I guess I just thought it was too small to offer a bass. I agree with Binimi15 in that Bluegills would be pounding my beetle or ant before a bass could have a chance at it. Around here at least. Now a big June bug, or bumble bee might be affective too. A big cicada pattern, I know would work. I've seen bass hit drowning cicadas in person, many times. That's my two cents.

Note to self: Tie some big cicadas to try on bass.

Guides in the area have reported catching smallmouth that were reguritating Japanese Beetles. If you can find a good imitation, give it a rip.

I agree that small mouth in particular can take on trout habits or resemble them. Even on still water I've had smallies take size 12 and 14 elk hair caddis, round about early June or even late May. I've had big bass come up and investigate a greased up muddler that floated too but haven't bagged one on those yet but I'm guessing it's only because I've only tried it half heartedly about two time lol ! A Muddler can fairly closely resemble a hopper if you tie it with some uneven collar hair.