Fly Tying
TANGLEDFLY

expose myself........

Hello,

I have been lurking around here for some time and finally decided to register. So.....I wanted to share a few things about myself.

My name is Marc Evans. I live in South Mississippi, and only recently(bout 2 yrs) started fly fishing again. I fly fished as a boy with my father for bluegill, and bass. Since starting back I also took up tying my own flies.

Since I am the only one of my friends that uses the long rod, I have no mentors or fly fishing partners to critique my style. Through GooGle, and books, I taught myself to tie flies. (Hence the reason I have been lurking) This forum has taught me allot and I figured it was time I give back to the community that has helped me become an almost, most assuredly, half decent fly fisherman. Because, fly fishing is an awesome sport, and fly tying has created another monster that shops at salon supply stores, Christmas sales, and occasionally, Fathoms the thought of the flies I could tie with my wife's lap dog.....ok, I wouldn't dare. Besides, it's the wrong shade of grayish yellow.

In-other-words, I'm addicted! Not sure if it was my love of arts and all things handmade, or the first fishing trip saved by one of my ugliest first ever flies that got me.....but I now have a corner, desk, cabinet(materials) and even a website for my new found hobby. The main reason I started the website is not having any fishing friends to share my new ooohs and ahhhs with. Like everyone else, I need criticism and atta boys to keep me encouraged.

Well, enough of that....I am glad I joined this community, and I hope you all are as excited as I am to have me!

Thanks for all the support you didn't know you were giving me! ;-)

Oh yeah, almost forgot....if you get the chance, stop by my blog, it's still developing, so don't be disappointed....it will get better, I promise! www.thetangledfly.wordpress.com

Thank you, MIKE*A!

Just wondering...... Are there any other Mississippi members on here? ........ Particularly South MS? Need someone to possibly fish and share fly patterns with. I'm the only local to my area that fly fishes and ties. I'm from the Escatawpa area.... Now claimed as Moss Point! Just checking

Mid-Florida here. Welcome to the site.

Don't stop fishing for bass and panfish ... it's just too fun.

I can believe you're alone in fly fishing and tying there ... but just barely. Most times, when I am on the water in Central Florida: 1) I never see another fly slinger, and 2) I hear people in passing boats exclaim, "Look at that guy ... he's fly fishing !!!"

On the other hand, if there's any kind of sports store nearby that sells fly fishing gear, then there are other addicts in the area. Good luck in finding them ... but you will.

That's very true!! Thanks for the welcome. I definitely get those looks on the water, & never see another fly chucker! However, they do sometimes look in admiration...... Or maybe they are just thinking I am crazy! Oh, well, the way I see it.... They are the ones missing out. On the other hand some times people will ask a lot of good questions and most of them really like my hand-tied flies. I always say to them " I can make some for you" & " you should try it! It isn't that hard to get started, not too expensive either. ...... At least until you get hooked!" Lol. I just spent some $ on a quality reel for my Ross FS 8wt. rod. In stead of the Okuma SLV,(which is a pretty good reel) I am patiently waiting to try my new Lanson Velosity 3. I love it already.

Mark. East central Mississippi here so I probably won't qualify as a fishing partner but at least you don't have to feel all alone. I do tie flies or I should say I am getting back into fly tying after 15 years of being away from it. When I used to tie I was living in Colorado with the South Platte river as my home base for fly fishing. Now I am having to learn to tie bass flies and flies for bream. It is a different world and I am also having to re-teach myself some basic techniques after 15 years away. But it is a great hobby so I don't mind the frustration of having to re-learn some of the basics. John. Email address is [email protected].

Hey Marc, welcome to the site. Glad to have you here. Looking forward to seeing your work. Cheers, Ed

Welcome Marc. Great intro!

Go to the top of this page and click on members. Then click on More Search Options. Scroll down and enter Mississippi in the Location box.

Lots of members don't provide any info about themselves in their profiles, but if any of those that did are from Miss., you'll get a list of them. Again, lots of members in the list haven't been on the site for a long time. You can hover over each name, and see the last time they were logged on. Who knows, maybe you'll find your fishing buddy. (besides your son).

Lol!! Thanks to all for the welcome!! A little has changed since then. The blog is still up, just not up to date. I find it much easier to get critique and post Fly pics on Instagram. I guess I should start posting here. If you want to see my work, look for tangledfly on Instagram. I will start uploading patterns here very soon.

Oh! Jakonyx..... East Central? As in Southern Ms? East Central Hornets? I live in Big Point now. Just about 5 mi from East Central. Just moved from my last home in Escatawpa off the East Pascagoula river. Good fishing there.