Fly Tying
RickZieger

Quote from a book

"Land of Wolves" by Craig Johnson

"Fishing- precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge."

Rick

Here's are two by my favorite outdoor author, and humorist:

"Show me a man who fishes in winter, and I'll show you a fanatic. Actually, I'll get the better of the deal, because for sheer spectacle a fanatic doesn't hold a candle to a man who fishes in winter" ~ Patrick F. McManus

Even my wife liked the next one. Actually, I presented it to her as a "fill in the blank",

"There is no greater fan of fly fishing than ______".

Think about it, then browse down about 15 lines for the "answer".

"There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm." ~ Patrick F. McManus

"Soylent Green is people!"

Harry Harrison: "Make room! Make room!" 1966

Even then, he could see the way to create a sustainable population.

Rich, 'the Old Man said dreamily, 'is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got. — Robert Ruark

Most fishermen use the double haul to throw their casting mistakes further.

There's more bullshit in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot.

It is not a good idea, either, to attach material such as Krystal Flash or Flashabou, then trim all strands at one spot. This gives most of the reflectiveness at one location - where the strands were severed. Instead, clip off the strands at different lengths along the entire body - that way you'll see little sparkles of light throughout the pattern

Allowing the fly to sink to the fish's level, the angler makes a retrieve. The fly comes directly at the fish, which suddenly sees its approach. As the small fly get nearer, the fish moves forward to strike, but the tiny fly doesn't flee at the sight of the predator. Instead it continues to come directly toward the fish. Suddenly the fish realizes intuitively that something is wrong (it’s never happened before), so it flees until it can assess the situation. An opportunity for the angler has been lost.

Trout fisherman often give away their presence to the fish by the equipment they are wearing. The yo-yo hanging on the fly-fishing vest that attaches to the hemostats or line clippers is often plated with chrome, giving off flashes of light. Some fly boxes that you wear on the chest are also bright aluminum-not a good idea. I recently fished with a fellow who wore a bright yellow hat on a meadow stream in Pennsylvania. From 100 yards away you could see his every movement, I'm sure that trout near him could, too.

I personally feel that parachute files give a more realistic impression of an insect to the fish that views the fly, since the hackles are in the same position as the insect's legs, and when tied with brightly colored hackles, these flies are easier to see on the float. A final advantage is that in rough water, a parachute-hackled dry fly will float longer and better than a conventional one

Lefty Kreh

If you begin to wonder what it all means, as we all do from time to time, your first thought has to be that meaning is a human concept thats totally unknown to fish.

John Gierach, Fools Paradise