Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Let Your Imagination Wander

Like most avid tiers, I like to experiment with new and odd materials. I have worked with almost every type of foam I can get my hands on, have repeatedly raided my (now ex) fiancee's craft supplies, spent numerous hours in craft supply shops while the old women just stared at me with contempt, and never, never have I passed up a roadkill without inspecting the damage first.

When tying flies, you are limited only by your imagination. I love to look at a traditional pattern, them substitute the materials and see what happens. I have often substituted raccoon tail for wings on Humpy's and Stone patterns. It's a little less bouyant that traditional hair materials, but it gives you a nice bushy wing that traps a lot of air in its on right. Try substituting materials...let you mind be free of traditional thinking and conventional wisdom and be creative. Think outside of the "box" and see what new and wonderous creation you can develop. Hell, we may just help you trademark a pattern and let Jim market it for ya!!!!!!

Sign in to follow this