Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Saving your flies

With all the modern products that are available to tiers, flies are much more durable and last much longer than they did just a few years ago. Products like epoxies, Scotchguard, new synthetics, adhesives, and coatings make a fly damn near indestructible under normal fishing conditions. But as tiers and anglers, we make a crucial error in trying to save our work because we seldom take the time to dry our flies before we store them. Storing wet flies promotes rusting of hooks and mildew damage to flies. Here's a little trick to prevent water damage to your favorite flies and gives them a little longer life.

After you get home from the stream, take all your wet flies and place them in a medium bowl. Place a piece of screen, doesn't really matter what kind, as long as it is mesh. Next, use a hairdryer and blow the flies dry. The screen keeps them from flying all over the damn place and the warm air dries them quickly and easily. You may even stretch the ol' ladies nylons over the bowl if you don't

have a screen handy. Drying the flies will help prevent rot and rusting of hooks. The deep bowl allows the flies to "tumble" freely as if they were in a laundry dryer. I use this method to dry big thick deer hair flies, as they tend to hold more moisture than any other fly.

Do yourself a favor and dry your flies thoroughly....why spend all that time at the bench just to let them ruin? dunno.gif

Been there and lost quite a few.

I had stored some streamers in one of those canvas/sheepskin pouches. Well, after wading a little deep, the pockets of my vest got wet and saturated the pouch. Bad News... Rust and mold

Since then I put most of my flies into boxes with gaskets. It keeps them dry.

Another tip for the sheepskin patch on vests.

Remove it and place it on the dashboard after fishing. Hit the defrost button and in no time they're ready to be put back into the boxes

Good tip, Shoe.....I don't typically use a drying patch, so I hadn't thought of that...glad someone did!!

Sign in to follow this