Fly Tying
SpokaneDude

Started w/ a balanced hook, added body and tail, now not balanced!

Started with a #10 jig hook, added pin w/ tungsten bead, and it's balanced. So I added body (mohair) and tail (marabou) and now it's not balanced anymore! Does it make a difference? or should I add in the weight of the body and tail?

SD

When you say, "... not balanced ...", how bad is it? There will be some buoyancy to the material in the water. Will you be jigging this directly under a float or boat?

On the other hand ... got a picture to make it easier for people to see a problem?

Sorry, but I'm not very good adding attachments to my posts; this is a better image, although out of focus, but you can see the tilt... and yes, I'll be using it some distance from my 'toon.

post-56493-0-01054800-1562784429_thumb.jpg

dubbing looks uneven from bend to bead. add more dubbing up front

tie another one that is slightly nose heavy. add a few wrap of lead wire behind the bead

move weight more forward or fish it as it is

is 3-5 degrees off really a problem?

i looked on google images and not all of them look perfectly horizontal

Looks like a large hook for the bead. Again, the weight of the natural materials should be neutral in the water, so I don't think it'll be much of an issue. For fishing, I also don't think the fish will turn it down because of a few degrees tilt to horizontal.

I don't really fish lakes or tie this pattern, but I'm guessing you're trying to tie a balanced "balanced leech"?

Assuming that's what you're looking for, here's a link for you from a great resource, with useful info and an SBS (click "tying instructions" under the main photo)

http://www.flyfishingthesierra.com/balancedleech.htm

Agree, a lot to do about nothing. first and foremost its going to follow the weight of the bead and the line and or current pulling/pushing on it. A little bit of off kilter dubbing is not going to change that. As I'm sitting hear I'm trying to wrap my head around what exactly "balanced" means for something that will be thrown in water where balance gets tossed right out the window and replaced with buoyancy and whatever aerodynamics is called underwater.

If it is weighted at one end the material end will always follow the head because of drag in the water if there is any motion up or down going on.

I don't think the fish will care of the leech isn't exactly parallel to the surface.

Ever watch a leech swim?

https://youtu.be/MY3E_Cnq-8s

watch phil rowley tie one and his explanation on the head down profile

Norm "nailed" it...