Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Moshup

And you thought the LAW vise was expensive.

Yeah, I saw that. A lot of the value is in how he traced the lineage from the original mfg'er to present. Just knowing it was the basis for the eventual design of the HMH vise is worth $2500, and all the extra jaws, half of which are obsolete and replaced with better versions easily add another $400 to what is, by itself, a $100 old vise.

Yes it is a lot of money. Maybe it is just me, but I can't help feeling that a £25 vice that doesn't do the job well, frustrating the new tier, is far more expensive than the premium vises.

This isn't that price for any tying reasons. It's history and significance is the reason. However, if you are looking for a good vice that does the job, then you can do worse than an HMH for your money. Leave that for the collectors of such things.

Cheers,

C.

It's been on there for months now. Someone on a UK tying forum wrote about it late last winter/early spring, and posted the link in their reply to another thread. Apparently, no one's interested enough yet. There was an old Regal model with wood around the jaws and the interlocking jaw tip that was on there for around $500.00 for quite a while too.

Regards,

Mark

The history of the vise is pretty meaningless. I had to laugh at the implied value of a vise that is based on lineage. Now if Elvis owned it, that would be a bargain.

Paying more for something just because it's old ... I just don't understand it.

It's a vise. Almost identical to the "modern" version.

Unlike car collections, in which models are completely different and will never be produced again, these vises are unchanging and still in production.

The one above might be worth a $100 more than it's modern version, because of the history ... but definitely not worth $3000.00.

Bill Hunter's shop was in New Boston NH. There was quite a bit of fly fishing and tying history related to Bill's family and the shop. If a museum or collector wanted one then wouldn't an original 1st generation be more desirable?

Poopdeck, hope you didn't think I was really meaning that lineage added that value to the item. If it was a design prototype from the original handmade parts it would have more value than one just one from the original assembly line. Not that kind of value though.

$22,000,000 1956 aston martin and the steering wheel is on the wrong side! :)

i'll take the vise :)

01-1956-aston-martin-dbr1-rm-1.jpg

it is a bitchin' ride

Optimistic. You can get a brass base for < $200 if you really want one.

Don't get me wrong...I love HMH vises and Aston Martin autos, but while I can afford (barely) an HMH standard, I won't ever be able to afford either of these auto/vise extravagances. My AM is a 2005 Ram truck. If I were able to afford either I doubt I'd jump on the "deals."

My Renzetti can do about anything the HMH can but I know my Toyota is no match to the Aston.

I can put an old pair of fruit of the looms on e-bay and ask 3000 dollars for them. Doesn't mean I'll get it though.

Yes it is a lot of money. Maybe it is just me, but I can't help feeling that a £25 vice that doesn't do the job well, frustrating the new tier, is far more expensive than the premium vises.

This isn't that price for any tying reasons. It's history and significance is the reason. However, if you are looking for a good vice that does the job, then you can do worse than an HMH for your money. Leave that for the collectors of such things.

Cheers,

C.

Sounds like you're not a fan of HMH.